Monifieth (Angus)

Records, sources & information about the Parish of Monifieth

Parish number 310


map of Monifieth

More maps of Monifieth

Introduction
Births & baptisms
Books & articles
Burgh records
Census records
Church Session
Clock & watch tax
Deaths & burials
Directories
Estate records
Farm horse tax
Heritors' records
Land owners
Libraries
Lists of inhabitants
Maps
Marriages
Ministers of the parish
Monumental inscriptions
Old parish registers
Parish Church
Photographs of places and people
Places of interest
Population statistics
Portraits
Provosts of Broughty Ferry
Provosts of Monifieth
Societies
Statistical Accounts
Testaments & wills
Town clerks of Broughty Ferry
Town clerks of Monifieth
Valuation rolls
War memorial

Introduction

Monifieth parish used to include the eastern part of Broughty Ferry; the parish boundary ran southwards down Claypotts Road and the north part of Westfield Road, then east along Brook Street and south along Church Street to the water.

seal of Monifieth

The Common Seal of the
Burgh of Monifieth

Please also visit the page of general information applicable to all of Angus & Kincardineshire.

Abbreviations

NLSNational Library of Scotland
NRSNational Records of Scotland, formerly called the National Archives of Scotland [NAS] and, before that, the Scottish Record Office [SRO]
HM General Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YY (Tel: +44-131-535-1314)
OPROld Parish Registers of Births/baptisms, Banns/marriages & Deaths/burials (pre-1855)

up

Books & articles

Photo-books - old photographs of Monifieth

up

Statistical accounts of Monifieth

up

Maps of Monifieth

1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - published 1957

1:10560 (Six inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1858, published 1865

1:2500 (25 inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1858, published 1865

For the full range of maps of Monifieth in the National Library, see National Library's Maps.

See also ScotlandsPlaces: Monifieth.

map of Monifieth

Above: modern street map of the town of Monifieth
Click on the map above to go to a navigable, zoomable map of Angus
© OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA

up

Photographs of places

See Geograph.org: Monifieth - recent photographs of Monifieth. National Grid ref. NO4932.

See Geograph.org: Broughty Ferry - recent photographs of Broughty Ferry. National Grid ref. NO4630.

Aerial photos of Monifieth & neighbourhood

Aerial photos of Broughty Ferry & neighbourhood

Photographs of places and people

Monifieth Photo Gallery [part of Angus Archives: Photographic collection]

up

Local societies

Monifieth History Society

up

Monifieth parish church

Located at National Grid ref. NO494324. Built in 1813. The mediaeval kirk, dedicated to St Rule, belonged to Arbroath Abbey.

Some history of the church is here.

See St Rule's Parish Church, Monifieth for photographs, including interior views.

up

Parish ministers 1560-1946

adm.: admitted, ass.: assistant, bapt.: baptised, contr.: contract, dem.: demitted, dep.: deposed, ind.: inducted, lic.: licensed, mar.: married, min.: minister, ord.: ordained, pres.: presented, rel.: related, res.: resigned, suc.: successor, test.: testament, tr.: translated

James Lovell1563reader
Gilbert Garden1565-1569min. 1565; also had Monikie in his charge 1567; tr. to Fordyce BAN Feb 1569
Andrew Clayhills1569-1574, 1598-1617b. 1546, son of Peter C., dean of guild and burgess of Dundee; adm. Feb 1569; tr, to Jedburgh ROX ca. 1574; tr. to Eckford ROX bef. 30 Apr 1593; re-tr. hither 16 Apr 1598; burgess of Dundee 1602; d. 23 Mar 1617; mar. (1) Kath., dau. of David Primrose in Culross PER; issue: Archd; Margaret; Jean; Sybilla (mar. Andrew Allan, min. of Oathlaw); Janet (mar. Patk Durham, min. here); Allan; mar. (2) contr. 1616 Christian Ogilvie, dau. of Cristal Lyall, goodwife of Chapelton and wid. of Wm Gray, min. of Logie Pert
James Lovell (Lawal, Lyall)1574reader
Andrew Auchinleck1574-1598min. of Barry; had charge here 1574-98
Patrick Durham1616-1624b. ca. 1589, son of William Durham of Grange; M.A. St Andrews 1609; adm. (colleague & suc. to Clayhills) 1 Oct 1616; d. 24 Aug 1624; mar. contr. 1614 Janet, dau. of Andrew Clayhills, min. here; issue: Andw, Chas, Jean, Agnes, Alexr
George Wishart1624-1626M.A.; pres. 26 Aug 1624; tr. to 2nd charge St Andrews bef. 18 Apr 1626
John Rutherford1626-1632b. 1565, son of John R., min. of St Andrews FIF; M.A. St Andrews 1582; adm. to 2nd charge Cupar FIF aft. 6 Mar 1590; tr. to Kilconquhar FIF 21 Jul 1594; dep. for neglect of duty 29 Jul 1596; reponed 23 Jun 1597; adm. to Dairsie FIF Apr/May 1611; adm. here 9 Sep 1626; d. 8 Jun 1632; bur. Old Coll., St Andrews; mar. 1597 Barbara Sandilands, wid. of Thomas Dishington of Ardross; issue: John, min. of Kirkden
Andrew Wood1632-1648M.A.; regent. Old Coll., St Andrews; adm. to Barry aft. 29 Apr 1619; tr. & adm. 7 Aug 1632; d. bef. 10 May 1648, aged ca. 57; issue: Wm
John Barclay1649-1675son of John Barclay of Johnston, Laurencekirk; M.A. St Andrews 1622; installed to Kinnaird-in-Gowrie PER 24 Nov 1633; pres. to vicarage there 22 Apr 1634; in England 1644; tr. & adm. 9 May 1649; d. 26 Aug 1675, aged ca. 73; mar. 1648 Helen, dau. of John Fotheringham; issue: Geo.; John; John; David; Jean; Alexr; Wm; Marion; Margaret; Eliz.; Jean; Geo.; Thos; Henry
John Dempster1676-1708/10son of Geo. D., glover, burgess of Brechin; M.A. St Andrews 1662; schoolmaster Brechin; adm. (prob. ass. to bishop of Brechin) bef. 23 Mar 1665; tr. & adm. 16 Jan 1676; dep. for irregularity ca. 1690; reponed Jun 1702; d. Aug 1708, aged ca. 67 [but mon. in kirk has Apr 1710]; mar. Anna Maule, wid. of Alexr Erskine, chamberlain to Panmure; issue: Mary; George Dempster of Dunnichen, mechant, Dundee; John; Chas; James; Henry; Jean
John Ballantyne1710-1738M.A. St Andrews 1700; ord. 23 Feb 1710; expelled from kirk by Jacobites 6 Nov 1715; recovered the kirk 4 Feb 1716; d. 12 Jun 1738, aged ca. 58; mar. Margaret Maxwell
Thomas Auchenleck1715-1716episc. preacher; intruded here
William Dall1739-1762ass. to John Ballantyne; ord. 25 Apr 1739; d. 25 May 1762
James Henderson1763-1787ord. to Dunnichen 4 Sep 1746; tr. & adm. 9 Mar 1763; d. 26 Apr 1787; mar. 1753 Helen, dau. of William Chalmers, provost of Aberdeen; issue: a son; John
William Johnstone1787-1829b. 1752; ord. 27 Sep 1787; d. 25 Sep 1829 unmar.
John Bisset1816-1839b. Apr 1778; M.A. Kings Aberdeen 1796; ord. (ass.) 5 Apr 1808; adm. 5 Sep 1816; d. 5 Mar 1839; mar. 1809 Isabella Dick; issue: Jean, Margaret, Thos, Isabella, Wm, Ann, James Erskine, David Sim
Samuel Miller1835-1843b. 2 Mar 1810, son of James M., min. of Monikie; ord. (ass. & suc.) 17 Sep 1835; joined Free Kirk 1843; min. of Monifieth Free Kirk 1843-4; min. of St Matthew's Free, Glasgow 1844-81; D.D. Princeton 1848; d. 5 Jul 1881; mar. 1840 Thomasina, dau. of Walter Foggo Ireland, D.D., min. of North Leith MLN
Alexander Todd1843-1853b. ca. 1815 Brechin; M.A. Kings Aberdeen 1835; ord. to Lochlee 28 Apr 1842; tr. & adm. 13 Dec 1843; dep. 27 May 1853
Peter Myles1853-1855b. 21 Jul 1826 Liff, son of David M.; B.A. St Andrews 1847; teacher Madras Coll., St Andrews; tutor to fam. of Col. Peterkin Grant of Grange, Forres NAI; ass. Montrose 1852; ord. to St David's Dundee 16 Dec 1852; tr. & adm. 29 Dec 1853; d. 24 Feb 1855; mar. 1854 Christina, dau. of Capt. Wm Mather, R.N.; no issue
James Gerard Young1855-1899b. 1821 Edinburgh, son of Wm Young, W.S.; ord. to Fintray ABD 16 Jan 1851; tr. & adm. 24 Dec 1855; d. 4 Oct 1899 unmar.; collected much info on old Monifieth, all destroyed after his death
David Duthie McLaren1900-1921b. 18 Mar 1860 Fordoun; M.A. 1886 B.D. 1889 St Andrews; ord. to Downfield Chapel 1891; tr. to Oldham Street, Liverpool 5 Nov 1893; tr. & adm. 12 Apr 1900; res. 17 May 1921on appointment to Belize; res. thence Jul 1922; d. 8 Apr 1939 Culter ABD; mar. (1) 1894 Mary Ann, dau. of John Laverock; issue: Margaret Rolland; David Duthie; John Laverock; Gordon Bate; mar. (2) 1906 Annie Grace, dau. of James Brebner, D.D., min. of Forgue ABD
Gordon Quig1921-1946M.A., B.D.; tr. from St Paul's Glasgow & adm. 28 Sep 1921; d. 18 Mar 1946 Edinburgh

Ministers of Panmure Church of Scotland, Monifieth (formerly Panmure U.F.)

See Panmure Church, Monifieth for photographs of the church, including interior views.

William M. Locke?-1930-?M.A.

Ministers of Broughty Ferry quoad sacra Parish Church, Brook Street, Broughty Ferry
A chapel of ease was opened in 1826. Broughty Ferry was disjoined from Monifieth parish on 15 Jul 1863.

David Davidson1827-1843b. 29 Dec 1801, son of David D, min. Dundee; M.A.; ord. 13 Dec 1827; joined Free Kirk in 1843; d. 25 Aug 1843; mar. 1828 Mary, dau. of Walter Foggo Ireland, min. of N. Leith; issue: Mary Brown (mar. Alexr Mackie); David; Jane Alves; John Thain, D.D., min. of Free Kirk, Maryton; Jessie Macgillivray (mar. Capt. Walter Foggo Ireland);
Andrew James McIntyre1843-1843ord. 20 Sep 1843; tr. to Strathmiglo 29 Dec 1843
John Wood1844-1864b. 1794, son of John W., crofter/tailor, Careston; M.A. Edinburgh 1823; ord. 7 Jul 1825 Monkwearmouth; LL.D. Glasgow 1833; adm. 4 Apr 1844; d. 10 Apr 1864; mar. 1824 Annabella, dau. of Capt. Martin Bryden, Brechin; issue: Thos Buchan Hepburn; Jas Henry; Jane (mar. 1853, div. 1868 John Herbert Blakey); Helen Maria; Annabella (mar. Cosmo Reid Gordon, D.D.); Martin Bryden; John Wood; Ann Lamb
James Lamont1856-1863b. ca. 1821 Rothesay BUT; tr. (ass. & suc.) 4 Dec 1856 from Kelvinhaugh; tr. 8 May 1863 to Dalkeith West; mar. Marion Janet ---
James Wilson1864-1915b. 5 Sep 1835, eldest son of Robert Rhedarius W., Beith; M.A. Glasgow 1860; ass. Kilbarchan AYR; ord. (ass. & suc.) 31 Mar 1864; res. 17 May 1915; d. 8 Dec 1922 Newport FIF; mar. 1864 Euphemia, dau. of John Anderson; issue: Charlotte Margaret (mar. David F. Stewart); John Robt; Mary; Euphemia; Jane; James
William John Sim1915-1921b. 14 Jul 1885 Edinburgh, son of James Pitcairn S., W.S.; M.A. 1907 B.D. 1910 Edinburgh; ass. Robertson Memorial Edinburgh; ord. 5 Jun 1912 Balfron STI; tr. & adm. 20 Oct 1915; tr. 28 Apr 1921 to Edinburgh Mayfield; mar. 1912 Marjorie, eldest dau. of James Bisset; had issue
William Dey Fyfe1921-1924b. 17 Feb 1885 Aberdeen, son of Wm Thomson F.; M.A. 1906 Edinburgh; B.D. Aberdeen 1910; ass. St Cuthberts, Newtonmore & Elgin; ord. 2 Sep 1915 Rattray PER; tr. & adm. 15 Nov 1921; d. 21 Sep 1924 Aberdeen
Alexander Smart1926-tr. 24 Mar 1926 from Daviot ABD; Ph.D. Aberdeen 1938; tr. 11 Dec 1940 to Saltcoats St Cuthberts AYR; mar.; had issue

Ministers of St Margaret's quoad sacra, Barnhill
Chapel-of-ease opened Jun 1884; church opened 16 Nov 1895; disjoined from Monifieth 8 Mar 1907.

Thomas Newbigging Adamson1884-1911b. 1 Apr 1855 Newton, son of John A., min. of Newton MLN; ass. Aberdeen East; ord. 30 Oct 1884; d. 18 Nov 1911; mar. 1894 Christina, dau. of Angus Fraser, Cults FIF
James Fleming Gordon Orr1912-1921M.A., B.D.; adm. from NZ, May 1910; ass. St Cuthberts MLN; adm. 27 Mar 1912; res. 3 Feb 1921, on appt to Nairobi
George Bremner1921-b. 19 Mar 1875 Forres MOR, son of Geo. B.; M.A. 1895 B.D. 1902 Aberdeen; teacher, Mackie Acad., Stonehaven; ass. Edinburgh St Bernards; ord. 18 Jan 1906 Inverarity; tr. & adm. 13 Jul 1921; mar. 1907 Jeannie, dau. of D. M. Mackay, Aberdeen

Ministers of Beach Parish quoad sacra
A mission in 1887; chapel opened 1890; disjoined from Broughty Ferry 19 Jul 1907.

Alexander Miller Maclean1887-1887M.A.; from 6 Jun to Dec 1887
Andrew Armit1887-1892missionary, 4 Dec 1887 to 10 Dec 1892; ord. 11 Apr 1893 to Pictou, N.S.; tr. 18 May 1896 (ass. & suc.) to Monikie
John Easton Black1893-1897M.A., B.D.; missionary, 14 Feb 1893 to 13 Dec 1897; thereafter, min. of Drumchapel DNB
John McKechnie1898-1905missionary, 1 Feb 1898; ord. 28 Dec 1899; tr. 23 Feb 1905 to Buckhaven FIF
James Burgess1905-1924b. 1864, son of John B.; ord. 17 Nov 1891 Andover, New Brunswick; adm. here 18 May 1905; adm. 1907 as first min. of this parish; d. 11 Nov 1924; mar. 1901 Harriet Louise, dau. of Calvin P. Bartlett
Charles Sydney Finch1925-b. 25 Jul 1891, son of Zeph. F., butcher; M.A. Edinburgh 1923; ass. Edinburgh St Matthew 1923; ord. 3 Apr 1925; tr. 23 Sep 1936 to Hawick St Geo. ROX; mar. 1915 Annie Bethune; had issue

up

Ministers of other denominations

Ministers of Monifieth Free Church (which?)

Samuel Miller1843-1844see above list of parish ministers of Monifieth

Ministers of Monifieth North Free Church (later, United Free Church), Hillock

Edward Cross?-1851-1881-?b. ca. 1820 Madras; d. 2 Oct 1892 Broughty Ferry; mar. 1853 Mary Ursula Baring Gordon
Alexander Wiseman?-1891-1912-?b. 17 Mar 1862 Fochabers MOR, son of Joseph W., clerk

Ministers of Monifieth South United Free Church

Crawford Smith?-1881-1920-?M.A.; b. 22 May 1853 Kinnoul PER, son of Alexr Bell S.; mar. Eliz. ---; issue: Mary R.; Winifred C.

Ministers of Panmure United Free Church, Monifieth
Opened 1899

Alexander B. Connon?-1901-1905-?B.D.; b. ca. 1871 Aberdeen
Walter W. A. Bell?-1912-?B.D.
Harry Law?-1920-?M.A.
William M. Locke?-1930-?M.A.

Ministers of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Monifieth

Joseph Brewer Jobberns?-1905-?M.A.
Herbert Crosland Bell?-1912-?M.A.
John Hampton Shepherd?-1920-?M.A.
Edmund Ramsay Spence, A.K.C.?-1930-?

Ministers of United Presbyterian Church (later, United Free Church), Queen Street, Broughty Ferry
Opened 1876; Old photo of the church

Andrew Carter1873-1879M.A.; b. 17 Oct 1848 Allanton, Edrom BEW, son of Thos C., mercht; from St Ninians STI; ord. 11 Nov 1873; dem. 8 Jan 1879; 1881 in England; 1891 editor in Stirling; d. 18 Apr 1893 Bridge of Allan; mar. Margaret R. S. --; issue: Annie S.; Jessie D.; Margt J.; Thos A.; Kath. F.; Geo. M.
David Hepburn Lawrence1879-1912-?M.A., D.D.; b. 20 Aug 1854 St Andrews FIF, son of David L.; ord. 7 Oct 1879; mar. Christabel ---; issue: Christabel M.

Ministers of East United Free Church, Queen Street, Broughty Ferry

M. D. Macgilvray?-1905-?M.A.

Ministers of Union United Free Church, Fort Street, Broughty Ferry

Thomas F. Best?-1905-1912-?

Ministers of West United Free Church, Brook Street, Broughty Ferry

George E. Troup?-1905-1912-?M.A.

Ministers of the Congregational Union, Brook Street, Broughty Ferry

J. P. Stephenson?-1905-?
A. G. Mitchell?-1912-?

Ministers of the Baptist Church, St Vincent Street, Broughty Ferry

George P. Craise?-1905-?
Mitchell Hughes?-1912-?

Ministers of St Mary's Episcopal Church, Queen Street, Broughty Ferry

George Mackness?-1905-?D.D.
William Henderson Begg?-1912-?B.D.

up

Monumental inscriptions

Monuments in Monifieth Kirkyard bearing pre-1855 information (ca. 180 stones) are listed in Alison Mitchell (ed.), "Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in Angus, Vol. 3: Environs of Dundee" (Edinburgh: Scottish Genealogy Soc., 1996), which can be bought from the Scottish Genealogy Society. (It's listed as "Angus MI - Vol. 3. Pre-1855 Environs of Dundee" in their online shop.)

There is a copy of Monumental inscriptions in St Rule's Kirkyard, Monifieth, compiled by S. Cramer in 1952, in the National Records [NRS ref. RH4/41/3 no. 4]. Cramer listed 233 monuments, many of which are no longer extant.

Andrew Jervise recorded some monuments at Monifieth in his "Epitaphs & Inscriptions", vol. 1, pp. 106-15.

See also Malcolm's book for 43 inscriptions.

A few monumental inscriptions in Monifieth Churchyard follow. (These MIs are all on the north side of the kirk.) [M1], etc., indicate Mitchell's numbering. Uncertain readings are in parentheses, (); parentheses on the stones are replaced here by braces, {}; square brackets enclose editorial comments.

[M149] 1867, Erected by ANDREW SMALL, and his wife JANET KEITH, in memory of their children, JAMES who died in infancy. THOMAS who died 26 May 1839, aged 11 months. And, DAVID who died 28 Oct. 1863, aged 23 years. The above JANET KEITH died 1 Aug. 1871, aged 66 years. The above ANDREW SMALL died 20th Decr, 1879, aged 71 years.

1869 Erected by WILLIAM MILNE, Monifieth, and ELIZABETH FERRIER his wife, in memory of, JANE STRACHAN his mother, who died 19th August 1855 aged 80 years JAMES MILNE his father, late of Apple Hill, who died 28th Decr 1865 aged 88 years. DAVID MILNE his son, who died 18th August 1868 aged 33 years The above WILLIAM MILNE died 22nd April 1885 aged 80 years. The above ELIZABETH FERRIER died 26th April 1894 aged 78 years. MARY HENDERY [sic] beloved wife of THOMAS MILNE son of the above died 12th February 1930, in her 84th year. THOMAS MILNE beloved husband of MARY HENDRY died 29th May 1933, aged 87 years.

[M152] In memory of DAVID GIBB, farmer, East Pitkerro, born 3rd October 1799, died 6th March 1875. And BARBARA DARGIE his wife born April 1809, died 20th April 1888 Also their children ISABELLA, born 2nd Sepr 1837, died 1852. ALEXANDER, died in infancy. BARBARA DARGIE born 18th June 1844, died 30th April 1927 JANE born 10th Jany 1852 died 15th Nov. 1927

[M153; but not seen by Mitchell in 1982] [184]1 [E]rected by JOHN INNES in memory of his daughter ISABELLA who died 30th May 1837, aged 24 years. And DAVID and JAMES, who died in infancy. And ANN, who died Decr 29th 1842, aged 20 years.

[M151] 1855 Erected by DAVID KAY, in memory of his son JAMES, who died 29th Sept 1842, in the 11th year of his age. The above DAVID KAY who died 24th March 1874 aged 72. And JANET GRANT his wife who died 3rd March 1886 aged 82. Their daughters AGNES ANDERSON KAY aged 72. ELLEN aged 72. Also her husband JAMES NICOLL Their son DAVID KAY died 1905 aged 72. His wife ANN GILLIES died 1924 aged 89. Their children MARY died 1873 aged 4. THOMAS died 1881 aged 5 months. JAMES died at sea 1887 aged 15. JESSIE died 1960 aged 93.

[M154] 1826 Erected to the memory of DANIEL SIMON, who departed this life 10th September 1825; aged 75 years. And of JANET WEBSTER, wife of the above who died 26th Feby 1842, in the 77th year of her age Also their son CHARLES, who died [blank] Novr 1858 aged 65 years. And their daughters MARGARET widow of JOHN JENKINS, who died 1st Augt 1867 aged 76 years. JANE who died 7th July 1882 aged 81 years. Also their grandson JOHN JENKINS, who died 21st April 1855 aged 25 years.

[M155] 1779 WM IA This stone is erected by WILLIAM MOUGGACH quarrier at Fintry in memory of his son DAVID MOUGGACH who died May 19th 1765 aged 3 years
[south] 1779; RM age 24; AM 22; HM 20; IM 14; WM 14

[probably M157; entirely defaced; no fragments of inscription on ground]

[M158] [south] 1823 To the memory of ALEXANDER SMITH son of JOHN SMITH and JEAN MILNE in Linlathen who died 28. October 1822 aged 27 years Believer what seest thou here amidst the emblems and shades of death By the eye of faith I see Jesus standing on the right hand of God to receive and welcome his followers and introduce them in to the presence of his father where there is fulness of joy
[north] 1836 Erected by JOHN SMITH in Linlathen to the memory of his son ALEXANDER SMITH, who died 22 [sic] Octr 1822 aged 27 years. Also:- of his wife JEAN MILNE who died 2 Jany 1833 aged 74 years. The above JOHN SMITH, died 31 Jany 1853 aged 83 years.

Monument, consisting of 5 panels, to Erskines of Linlathen, descended from Erskine of Cardross:

[arms] Quarterly: 1st & 4th grand quarters, an eagle displayed; 2nd & 3rd grand quarters counter-quartered; 1st & 4th, a bend between six cross-crosslets fitchy [earldom of Mar]; 2nd & 3rd, a pale [Erskine]; Motto: Fortitudine; two representations of a crest: a boar's head on the point of a dagger

[leftmost panel; M159] ANN GRAHAM died 3rd May 1835 aged 13 years GEORGE ANNA died 3rd June 1836 aged 13 years DAVID CHARLES died 26th Oct. 1836 aged 2 years and was laid at Clifton children of JAMES PATERSON and his wife DAVID ERSKINE He shall gather the lambs with his arm and carry them in his bosom

========

up

Monifieth war memorial

Scottish War Memorials Project: Monifieth.

up

Births, Marriages & Deaths, 1855 to present

Indexes and actual records for Statutory Registers of Births, Marriages & Deaths, beginning 1 Jan 1855, are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.

There is a Map of Barnhill Cemetery, that identifies the different Sections but not individual lairs.

Births, Marriages & Deaths, before 1855

Indexes and actual records for all extant Old Parish Registers (OPRs) (pre-1855) of the Established Church of Scotland are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.

up

Church Session Records of Monifieth Parish Church
Original records CH2/270/1 to 10 are in Dundee City Archives; digital images are available in NRS.

Nature of recordDatesNRS ref. CH2/270/...
Minutes1678-17061
do1710, 1713-17372
Accounts1710-17392
Minutes1749-17523
Accounts (mostly)1739-17623
Minutes & accounts1763-17694
Minutes1769-18575
do1857-18926
Accounts1769-18047
Extracts from minutesn.d.8 to 9
Minutes1892-194310
Cash book1853-192111
Baptisms1895-195912
Proclamations1854-187413
do1874-190914
do1909-192715
do1970-197716
Communicants' roll book1853-186417
Communion rolls1857-195118 to 26
Communion roll indexn.d.27
do1903-191828
File with bibliography of Monifieth parishn.d.29
Sabbath school library, borrowings register1911-194830

Church Session Records of Monifieth Free Church
later, Monifieth North United Free Church

Nature of recordDatesNRS ref. CH3/1180/...
Minutes1843-18511
do1865-19202
Communion roll1844-18453

up

Monifieth Heritors' records

Nature of recordDatesNRS ref. HR328/...
Minute book (with accounts)1837-19291
Accounts1864-19292
Papers re transference of property to Church of Scotland General Trustees19273
Scheme for allocation of church sittingsn.d.4
Locality of stipend18644
Petition of parents and guardians of scholars attending Monifieth parochial schooln.d.4
Certificate by Heritors - sanction of application to feu glebe18774

up

Land owners

There were 12 proprietors of land in the parish in 1843, including:

up

Estate records

Records of the Grange of Monifieth, 1625-1767 - in Dundee City Archives

up

Lists of inhabitants of the parish

Some lists of inhabitants of Broughty Ferry are at items 2 to 5 of History of Dundee and area.

up

Census records

Records of the official censuses of the parish in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 are held in the New Register House, Edinburgh and are open to the public on payment of a fee.

Indexes to all the original census records, and the records themselves, can be accessed online at modest charge at ScotlandsPeople.

Microfilm copies are also widely available in libraries. The 1881 census is available on CD-ROM.

The early censuses of 1801-31 do not name individuals.

up

Population statistics

Yearmalefemaletotalref.
17551421Dr Alexander Webster
17946205981218Old Statistical Account
18011407
18111728
182194711602107
18312636
18413461
18514267
1871339338597252
1881430052219521

After change of parish boundary:

Yearmalefemaletotal
18914747578410531
19015285638711672
19115810733513145

After reduction of area of parish:

Yearmalefemaletotal
1911185021403990
1921188222904172

Population statistics by denomination in 1843

Denominationin Monifiethin Broughty Ferry
Ch. of Scotland12731650
Dissenters152165
Episcopalian11112
R.C.913
Unknown2536

up

Street and trade directories

The following Dundee Directories include information for Monifieth and Broughty Ferry and Carnoustie:

up

Testaments & wills

Monifieth was in the Commissariot of St Andrews.

Indexes to all extant pre-1926 testamentary records (wills & inventories of moveable property) can be searched free of charge at ScotlandsPeople. Digital (and paper) copies of the documents can be purchased at that site. See further the introduction to Angus & Kincardineshire at Testaments.

Testaments of Monifieth people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of St Andrews, 1549-1823

James Abbotshipmaster at Broughty Ferry31 Mar 1815
Hew Ademan walker and cotterman at Balgillo-mylne, par. of Monifuith24 May 1599
Mr John Barclayminister at Monyfuith5 Oct 1675
James Barrietenant at Monifieth10 Dec 1814
Isobel Baxteronly child of deceased Robert Baxter, manufacturer or yarn spinnerat Milltown of Monifieth, previously wright in Hawkhill of Dundee, then in Chapelshade of Dundee, & his relict Isabel Ormond31 May & 1 Jun 1816
Robert Baxtermanufacturer or yarn spinner at Milton of Monifieth8 Aug 1814
Catharine Butchartin Lumlethan, par. of Monifuith, spouse of William Smith17 Jan 1614
Mr Andrew Clayhillsminister at Monyfuith28 Feb 1621
John Daviecotterman in Effie-Beattoun, par. of Monyfuith29 Jan 1598-9
Mungo Dicktailor at Monifieth1 Feb 1823
William Douglas of Brigtonresiding in Broughty Ferry29 Mar 1815
Alexander Duncan, younger of Ardouniepar. of Monyfeith3 Aug 1758
Bessie Duncansometime in Barnhill, and spouse to David Brechin, cotterman, par. of Monifuith30 Apr 1599
James Duncansometime tenant in the Shank of Omachie, par. of Moniefeith17 Jun 1724
John Duncanin Luikis-hall, par. of Monifuith, cotterman4 Apr 1599
Janet Finlayspouse to Robert Moram, in Monyfuith2 Jul 1662
Mr James Fothringhameparson of Ballumbie, par. of Monyfuith8 Sep 1621
David Gallowayin Campo, par. of Monyfuith13 Jun 1636
Elspet Graysometime spouse to Henry Knight, cotterman in Ascheluddie, par. of Monifuith4 Apr 1599
Andrew Guildcotter in Asludie, par. of Monifuith10 Jan 1614
Margaret Guildspouse to James Alexander, in Caldsyde, par. of Monifuith15 Nov 1613
Mr James Hendersonminister at Monifieth28 Aug 1787
David Hunter of Burnsydepar. of Monifieth20 Sep 1699
David Hunter, last of Burnsidepar. of Moneyfooth20 Feb 1717
Robert Hunter of Burnesydepar. of Moniefooth16 Jun 1703 and 20 Feb 1717
Jean Jackspouse to James Kinnaird, in Hill of Ethebeton, par. of Monifeith18 Oct 16S8
Marion Johnstonerelict of John Ged, in Monyfuth23 Oct 1618
Helen Kayin Bagillo, par. of Monifuith, spouse to Walter Ireland10 Feb 1607
Margaret Kayspouse of Walter Ireland, cotterman, sometime in Balgillo, par. of Monifuith18 Apr 1599
John Kirkcaldyvintner in North-east Ferry, par. of Monyfeith25 Jan 1770
Alexander Knightin Monifuith, par. of Monefuith8 Jul 1662
John Kydin Orslewdie, par. of Monyfuith18 Jun 1621
Jean Leslierelict of William Durhame of Grange, par. of Monyfuth24 May 1619
Patrick Lindsayindweller in Monyfuith20 Oct 1674
Mr James Martin of Grangepar. of Monyfooth16 Jul 1712 and 9 Mar 1713
Bessie Mathewsometime spouse of Andrew Rilze, in Arslwdy, par. of Monifuith29 Jun 1584
Henry Mathewcotterman in Ascheluddy, par. of Monyfuith10 Apr 1599
Henry Mathewin Monifuith3 Aug 1616
Janet Milnespouse to Nicoll Burne, in the Grange of Monifuith, par. of Monifuith6 May 1616
Alexander Mitchelsonin Lumlethin, par. of Monyfuth2 Dec 1617
Robert Morumindweller in Monifeith14 Apr 1692 and 24 Apr 1695
Barbara Mylnesometime spouse to Michell Ramsay, cotterman in Eifie-Betoun, par. of Monifuith17 Apr 1599
Marjorie Nicollspouse to Andrew Duncan, cotterman in Effy-Beattoun, par. of Monyfuith29 Jan 1598-9
Isobel Ormondresiding at Milton of Monifieth, relict of Robert Baxter, manufacturer & flaxspinner there25 & 28 Feb 1818
Robert Patersonin Barnhill, par. of Monifuith17 Jan 1614
David Pittillockin Balmose, par. of Monyfuith16 Oct 1673
John Pittillockin Balmossie, par. of Monyfuith17 Jul 1627
James Rankinresiding in par. of Monifieth28 May & 2 Jun 1817
James Reamason in Drumsturdy Muir17 Oct 1818
Agnes Richardsonsometime spouse to Andrew Stevin, cotterman in Ascheludie, par. of Monifuith15 Feb 1600
Thomas Ritchiecotterman in Findrak, par. of Monifuith3 Jan 1600
David Scottwright in Moneyfooth20 Aug 1718
Thomas Scott youngerin Monyfuith28 May 1619
Thomas Scott elderin Monyfuith, par. of Monyfuith10 Apr 1621
John Smithin Cadgertoun, par. of Monefuith8 Jul 1662
Thomas Smithin Lumlethame, par. of Monifuith6 May 1616
John Spinkmariner in North Ferry, par. of Monyfeith2 Aug 1721
James Sturrockmaster in H.M. Navy & shipmaster at Broughty Ferry19 Jan 1820
John Tendillbrowster in Monifuith14 Jan 1600
Elspet Thomsonspouse to Thomas Scott, in Kirktoun of Monifuith14 Jun 1614
Katherine Thomsonin Murehead of the Laws, par. of Monyfuith, spouse of Henry Knight10 Apr 1599
Thomas Websterfisher at Broughty Ferry8 May 1816

Testaments registered at St Andrews that have been lost, for which only entries in the minute books are extant

Mr John Ballantyneminister at Monyfeith11 Aug 1738
William Craigheadschoolmaster in Monyfieth28 Mar 1764
Mr William Dallminister of the Gospel at Monyfieth18 Oct 1762
Alexander Duncan of Ardoune, elderpar. of Monyfieth12 Mar 1763
Margaret Maxwellspouse to Mr John Ballentyne, minister at Monyfeith20 Oct 1736
James Stevenin Grange of Monifieth1 Jun 1726

Testaments of Monifieth people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Brechin, 1576-1800
'T' before the date indicates that the copy in the register is lost, but the original testament is extant.

John Durhamservant to the Laird of Grange, elderT. -- 1659
Patrick Durham of OmachieT. 8 Aug 1744
Jean Lyellservitrix to the Laird of Grange, elder25 Oct 1658
Jean Ouchterlonyspouse to William Durham, elder, of GrangeT. 3 Mar 1659

Testaments of Monifieth people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1514-1600

Matilda Baldowierelict of Robert Durhame, of Grange, par. of Monyfuith, sher. of Forfar29 Jan 1598-9
Paul Carmichaellin Lumlathin, par. of Monyfuth in Angus24 Feb 1580-1 and 23 May 1581
Robert Durham of Grange in Anguspar. of Monyfuith11 Feb 1590-1
William Durham of Grange29 Nov 1574 and 7 and 31 Jun 1575
Ninian Guthrie of Kingandy [Kingennie]par. of Monyfuith, sher. of Forfar10 Jan 1586-7
Jonet Inglisrelict of William Durhame of the Grange in Angus20 Oct 1580
Thomas Lovellin Lumlathin, par. of Monyfuith in Angus23 Feb 1580-1
Alison Nicholrelict of Paul Carmichaell, in Lumlathin, par. of Monyfuthe in Angus24 Feb 1580-1

Testaments of Monifieth people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1601-1700

Margaret Duncansometime spouse to David Weir, in Ethiebetoun, par. of Monifeith, in Angus15 Apr 1607
William Durham of Grayngepar. of Monyfuithe, in Angus26 Jun 1606
David Ramsayin the Schank of Umoquhy, par. of Monifuthe, in Angus19 Jun 1606
Gilbert Ramsayin Legisland, par. of Monifuthe, sher. of Forfar20 Jun 1607
Andro Weirin Ethiebetoun, par. of Moniefeith, in Angus15 Apr 1607

up

Clock & watch tax, 1797-8

Images of the original records for Monifieth:

NRS ref. E326/12/2/55

up

Farm horse tax, 1797-8

Images of the original records for Monifieth:

up

Libraries

Monifieth Library

up

Valuation rolls

Valuation rolls of properties in the County of Angus, for the years 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1920, 1925 and 1930 only, can be seen at ScotlandsPeople.

up

Provosts of the Burgh of Monifieth, to 1975

NameIn officeBornDiedInfo
David Stewart1895[?]-19091932first provost
James Fenton1909-191625 Sep 1871 ForfarOct 1951 West Ferry, Dundeesolicitor; obituary
Alexander Maiden1916-191914 Sep 1865 Kirriemuir18 Jan 1922 Monifiethmercantile clerk
James Maxwell Rattray1919-1934Mar 1940
George G. Ritchie1934-19371869/7024 Sep 1947 Monifieth
William W. Tyndall1937-1943
Alexander Smith1943-1946
John G. Taylor1946-1949-?
W. J. Ross?-1952-1953-?
A. Cameron Watt1967-1973[?]
Ian Mortimer1972[?]-1975

up

Town clerks of Monifieth

NameIn officeBornDiedInfo
David Gowans?-1902-191622 Feb 1853 Inverkeilor26 May 1916 Monifieth
James Fenton1916-1920The former provost
David Gowans yr1920-1953ca. 1888 Monifieth8 Dec 1956 Dundee
Allan S. Brand1953-?
Ian M. Allan?-1967-1969-?

up

Burgh of Monifieth: burgh records in Angus Archives

Angus Archives' page Catalogs - Burgh Records provides this file listing burgh records of Monifieth, from 1895, held by Angus Archives. The records, include, additionally, Monifieth Parish Cemetery Cash Books, 1869-1938, with purchasers of lairs and names of deceased, at MF/1/9/1 and 2.

up

Chief magistrates and, from 1892, provosts of Broughty Ferry, 1864-1913
Portraits of them all
Broughty Ferry was incorporated into Dundee in 1913

NameIn officeBornDiedInfo
George Hair Newall of Bearehill [by Brechin]1864-1866ca. 1800 Dundee1882 Upton-on-Severn, Worcsflax merchant
William Warden Renny1866-1870ca. 1808 Arbroath1882 Br. Ferryflax merchant, Russian merchant
James Cunningham1870-1873ca. 1820 Mains27 Dec 1893 Br. Ferryjute manufacturer, millspinner
William Hynd Norrie1873-1876ca. 1824 Dundee1912 Monifiethlinen merchant
John Leadbetter1876-1878ca. 1834 Glasgow25 Jan 1911 Br. Ferrylinen merchant
George Halley1878-1881ca. 1837 Dundee22 Feb 1904 Br. Ferryjute spinner & manufacturer
James Mudie1881-1886ca. 1840 Dundee29 Jan 1897 Br. Ferrymerchant, steamship owner
-
James Guthrie Orchar1886-18981825 Dundee14 May 1898 Br. Ferryengineer; first Provost; biography; portrait
Baxter Gray1898-1907ca. 1844 Dundee7 Dec 1912 Br. Ferrybrewer & wine merchant
William Lindsay1907-1913

up

Town clerks of Broughty Ferry

NameIn officeBornDiedInfo
Edward Cowan?-1895-191324 Feb 1921 Broughty Ferry

up

Places of interest

up

Portraits

up

This page updated 27 Feb 2016 . . . . . . . . . Use of cookies