This page lists some of the available sources of information about Musselburgh and Inveresk, mostly before 1900, and in particular, records that are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, where many of the records are open to the public at no charge.
Indexes and actual records for the Old Parish Registers, Statutory Registers of Births, Marriages & Deaths and Censuses are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople. The statutory records of births can be seen at that site from 1855 up to 100 years ago; of marriages, from 1855 up to 75 years ago; for deaths, from 1855 up to 50 years ago. More recent records can be ordered.
The Old Parish Registers of births/baptisms, marriages and deaths/burials (1606-1854), the Statutory Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths beginning on 1 Jan 1855 and the census records for the parish for the years 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 may also be seen, in person, in Edinburgh, at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. See details at the website for the ScotlandsPeople Centre.
The Old Parish Registers and census records are also widely available in libraries on microfilm. Microfiche indexes to the pre-1855 registers of baptisms/births and marriages (for all Midlothian) and of the censuses of 1881 and 1891 are also widely available.
The parish of Inveresk lies within the area covered by the Lothians Family History Society.
Note that although the parish of Inveresk lies within the county of Midlothian for historical purposes, since 1974 it has been within the area administered by East Lothian Council. So information about the area's history - archives, local history collections and museum collections - is to be found in Haddington, at the new John Gray Centre.
Some relevant material is held at Midlothian Local Studies and Archives, Clerk Street, Loanhead, Midlothian.
Note There are places called `Newbg' in many parts of Scotland. In particular, in addition to the Newbg in the parish of Inveresk, there is (or, rather, was) a Newbg in the parish of St Cuthberts, at Lochrin.
|BM||Burgess of Musselburgh|
|NLS||National Library of Scotland|
|NRS||National Records of Scotland, formerly called the National Archives of Scotland [NAS] and, before that, the Scottish Record Office [SRO]|
HM General Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YY (Tel: +44-131-535-1314)
|OPR||Old Parish Registers of Births/baptisms, Banns/marriages & Deaths/burials (pre-1855)|
Adam, Alastair T. - Bruntons 1876-1962 (1962, privately printed) [History of the wire-making mill at Musselburgh]
Burnet, Jane E.M. - A Reason for Inveresk: a Scrapbook of History (Inveresk: Courtyard Press, 1999: ISBN 0-9537450-0-7) [Interesting book about the village of Inveresk and its mainly well-to-do inhabitants; well illustrated with portraits, photos and plans]
Carlyle, Alexander - Autobiography (Edinburgh: 1860)
Dalgleish, G., Haggarty, G. & McVeigh, P. - Pots at the 'Pans: The Potteries of Prestonpans, Musselburgh and Portobello (Newtongrange: Scottish Mining Museum, 1990) [A descriptive history and exhibition catalogue]
Lambie, Paul - A Walk around Historic Musselburgh (E. Lothian Tourist Board, 1993)
Langhorne, Rev. William Henry - Reminiscences Connected Chiefly with Inveresk & Musselburgh & Sketches of Family Histories (Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1893) [Info about episcopacy in Musselburgh & generally; Loretto; Dr Moir; the Rev. John Gardiner Beveridge; the Langhorne family; etc.]
Mackenzie, Robert Jameson - Almond of Loretto: being the Life and a Selection from the Letters of Hely Hutchinson Almond, Headmaster of Loretto School (1862-1903) (London: Archd Constable, 1905)
McWilliam, Colin - The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian except Edinburgh (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1978: ISBN 0-14-0710-66-3) [Pages 332-344 are on Musselburgh & Inveresk; pp. 351-3 on Newhailes]
Maughan, Wm Charles - Picturesque Musselburgh & its Golf Links (Paisley: Alex Gardner, 1906) [Mainly about golf]
Paterson, James - History of the Regality of Musselburgh (Musselburgh: James Gordon, 1857) [Contains a wealth of facts; a serious and useful history, contrasting sharply with much of the dross published in the 19th century.]
Stirling, R. McD. - Inveresk Parish Lore from Pagan Times (Musselburgh: 1894)
Whyte, Ian & Kathleen - Discovering East Lothian (Edinburgh: John Donald, 1988: ISBN 0-85976-222-X) [Only 4 pages devoted to Musselburgh, and a few mentions through the book.]
Wilkie, James (ed.) - St Michael and Inveresk (Edinburgh: Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier, 1894)
Local Reports of the Commissioners, 1835: Musselburgh - "... is of very ancient foundation."
Photo-books - old photographs of Musselburgh
Lindgren, Donald - Old Musselburgh (Catrine: Stenlake Publishing, 2001)
The Old Musselburgh Club - Musselburgh (Stroud: Sutton Publishing, 2000: ISBN 0-7509-2531-0)
The Old Musselburgh Club - Musselburgh Revisited (Stroud: Sutton Publishing, 2003: ISBN 0-7509-3266-X)
- Riding of the Marches, Musselburgh, 23 to 29 July 1995 [Souvenir brochure, 68 pages]
Previous Ridings, roughly every 21 years, had been held in 1682, 1711, 1732, 1750, 1790, 1809, 1830, 1852, 1873, 1893, 1919 [instead of 1914], 1935, 1956, 1974 [instead of 1977].
General descriptions of the state of the parish at different times
- Reports on the State of Certain Parishes ..., 1627
Inueresk alias Mussilburgh, pp. 75-81 of Reports on the State of Certain Parishes in Scotland made to his majesty's commissioners for plantation of kirks &c. in pursuance of their ordinance dated April xii M.DC.XXVII (Edinburgh: 1835)
Full text is here.
New Statistical Account
Vol. 1, pp. 246-304, written Oct 1839 by Revs L. Moodie & J. G. Beveridge (Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1845)
The Third Statistical Account of Scotland
Vol. 22, The County of Midlothian, pp. 126-148, ed. by Hilary Kirkland (Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press, 1985; SBN 7073-0339-7)
The Fourth Statistical Account
East Lothian 1945-2000, vol. 5, covering the parishes of Inveresk (with Musselburgh), Prestonpans, Tranent (with Cockenzie & Port Seton), ed. by Sonia Baker (East Lothian Library Services, 2007: ISBN 9781897857359) - see more info.
1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - published 1947
1:10560 (Six inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1853, published 1854
For the full range of maps of Inveresk and Musselburgh in the National Library, see National Library's Maps.
There are no Ordnance Survey maps before the 1850s.
A Plan of Edinburgh and Places adjacent by John Laurie, Geographer, 1766. (Includes the parish of Inveresk).
Hay's New Plan of Musselburgh & its Environs, 1824, by James Hay, surveyor, Musselburgh & Charles Thomson, engraver, 19 Shakespeare Square, Edinburgh. (NRS ref. RHP1855, reproduced in facsimile at about one inch to 100 yards by East Lothian District Library, 1993)
Reform Act plan of Musselburgh of 1832
A reproduction of the plan was published in 1992 by Historical Discovery, 9/11 Market St., Crewe, Cheshire CW1 2EW, England - ISBN 1 85796 509 4).
Ordnance Survey 1:2500 scale map (Edinburghshire sheet 4.11), surveyed 1893, published 1895 (reproduced in 1987 as Musselburgh at scale of ca. 1:4340 or 15 inches to the mile by Alan Godfrey.
Ordnance Survey maps of Fisherrow and Musselburgh at 1:2500 for 1853, and 1:500 for 1893, among others, are held on microfiche at the John Gray Centre, Haddington.
ScotlandsPlaces: Inveresk - an extensive collection of photographs, maps and records
Dedicated to St Michael, the church is located in Inveresk village, outwith the burgh, at national grid ref. NT344721, at the site of a Roman fort. The present church was opened in 1806, to replace the previous small church, which could no longer accommodate the growing congregation. The old church incorporated materials of Roman date. It was 102 feet by 24 feet internally, with 2 aisles added on each side. These aisles were built by individuals for their family burials after burials within churches were banned in 1590; from the extant burial records, they were the Carberrie aisle, Stoneyhill aisle, Whitehill aisle and Mr Cout's (Colt's) aisle.
Photo of the kirk at Geograph
Architectural details are given at British listed buildings.
adm.: admitted, ass.: assistant, bapt.: baptised, contr.: contract, dem.: demitted, dep.: deposed, ind.: inducted, lic.: licensed, mar.: married, min.: minister, ord.: ordained, pres.: presented, rel.: related, res.: resigned, suc.: successor, test.: testament, tr.: translated
|John Burne||1567||minr. in 1567|
|Edward Layis (or Lees)||1570||reader in 1570|
|Andrew Blackhall||1574-1597?||adm. 1574, d. 31 Jan 1609, aged 72|
|Adam Colt (or Cout)||1597-1641||b. 1562, adm. 1597, demitted 3 Jun 1641, d. 24 Mar 1643, aged 81|
|Oliver Colt||1632-1679||son of Adam C., b. 31 Dec 1597, ord. & inst. ass. 5 Dec 1632, inst. 4 Jun 1641, d. 30 Dec 1679|
|Arthur Millar||1680-1689||adm. & inst. 9 Jun 1680, deprived 3 May 1689, d. 9 Oct 1727, aged 77|
|Richard Howison||1694-1700||tr. & adm. 18 Sep 1694, d. Nov 1700, aged ca. 68|
|John Williamson||1702-1740||ord. 30 Apr 1702, died 2 Feb 1740, aged 59|
|Frederick Carmichael||1741-1747||tr. & adm. 15 Apr 1741, tr. to New Greyfriars' Kirk, Edinburgh, 24 Dec 1747|
|Alexander "Jupiter" Carlyle (portraits)||1748-1805||b. 26 Jan 1722, ord. 2 Aug 1748, d. 25 Aug 1805|
|Leslie Moodie||1806-1840||b. 29 Dec 1766, son of Roger M., min. of Monimail FIF; ord. Newton 25 Mar 1796; tr. to Kelso ROX 14 Aug 1800; tr. & adm. 27 Jun 1806; D.D. 1820 St Andrews; d. 27 Jul 1840; mar. 1818 Cath., dau. of Charles Fergusson, London & gdau. of sir James F. of Kilkerran bart.|
|John Gardiner Beveridge||1836-1886||b. 2 Dec 1806 Kinross, son of James B.; ord. assistant & successor 16 Feb 1836; d. 10 Oct 1886; mar. 1836 Margaret Grahame, dau. of William Bryce, min. of Aberdour; issue: Jane G., James A., Wm B., Margaret, John, Francis, Janet Isabella, Emily Christina, Mary Eliz. Anne, David Macbeth Moir|
|Alexander Marshall||1887-1888||b. 6 Jan 1849 Kilsyth, son of James M.; M.A. Glasgow 1872; ord. Hurlford 5 Nov 1874; tr. to Callander 13 Sep 1877; tr. & adm. 17 May 1887; res. 16 Feb 1888; min. of Scots kirk, Melbourne; D.D. Edinburgh 1895; mar. 1875 Jeanie Crawford, dau. of James Hay, Glasgow; issue: James, Hay, Allastair G.M., Crawford C. & 7 others|
|James Sharp||1888-1905||b. 1 Nov 1860 Scone, son of Wm S.; assistant N. Leith; ord. N. Church, Stirling 3 Feb 1887; tr. & adm. 4 Sep 1888; d. 18 Oct 1905; mar. 1887 Annie Taylor, dau. of John Graham; issue: Wm S., Agnes M., James E., Ursula E., Maud M., Dora C., Irene S.|
|James Wallace||1906||b. 23 Sep 1871 Corstorphine, son of Robert W.; M.A., B.D. Edinburgh; assistant St Mary's Edinburgh; ord. Eyemouth BEW 4 Aug 1899; tr. to 2nd charge St Andrews 25 Jun 1903; tr. & adm. 17 May 1906; d. unmar. 4 Oct 1906|
|George Gordon Dundas Stewart Duncan||1907-1910||b. 23 Apr 1870, son of Thos D., min. of Bridge of Weir; M.A. (1890) B.D. (1895) Glasgow; ass. prof. of Divinity, Glasgow; ord. Glendevon PER 21 Jul 1897; tr. to Glencairn 25 Jan 1900; tr. 16 May 1907; tr. & adm. St Cuthberts 12 May 1910; mar. Cath. Louise, dau. of Robert Hunt White, Prestonpans|
|William Edie||1910-1936||D.D. St Andrews 1918; d. 22 Jun 1936; mar. Jean Irvine Fergusson|
Assistant ministers of the parish
|Philip Hislop||1595-1596||adm. ass. 1 Jan 1595, d. 1596, aged ca. 29|
|William Dun||1709-1716||el. 28 Jun 1702, ord. at Dalkeith 12 Apr 1709, tr. to Glamis 11 Nov 1716|
|Robert Bonaloy||1719-1745||el. 22 Apr 1718, ord. 22 Jul 1719, d. 18 Feb 1745, mar. at Edr 9 Dec 1719 Margaret (Peggie) Dunlop|
|--- Grant||1745||went to London & joined Church of England|
|Archibald Gracie||-||d. 20 Oct 1828 Portobello, mar.|
- Mr Robert Bonaloy, ass. min., was Session Clerk until his death on 18 Feb 1745
- William Newlands, precentor in Inveresk Church, admitted BM 1790
- Thomas Young, BM, tanner, was appointed English Schoolmaster in 1720 & Session Clerk Depute in 1740. He figures prominently as a baptismal witness from then until his death on 18 May 1756.
Listed in Poll Tax of 1695
|Mr Andrew Done, with wife & servant|
|Mr Thomas Nasmith, min. at Inveresk, with wife, daughter & servant|
(1) Ministers of Northesk Church of Scotland
Northesk Church was opened in 1838 and the quoad sacra parish of Northesk dates from 1859.
|Alexander Davidson||1839-1843||ord. 24 Jan 1839, tr. to N. Leith 22 Jun 1843|
|Robert Forrester Proudfoot||1844-1845||ord. 5 Jan 1844, tr. to Fogo 4 Jul 1845|
|John Robin||1845-1849||ord. 26 Dec 1845, tr. to Burntisland 29 Jun 1849|
|William Lambie Nelson||1850-1853?||ord. 24 Jan 1850, became min. in Queensland, Australia|
|William Dobie||1853-1859||ord. 15 Dec 1853, tr. to Ladykirk 17 Mar 1859|
|John Falconer||1859-1864||ord. 24 Nov 1859, tr. to Ettrick 16 Jun 1864|
|Henry Moncrieff Macgill||1865-1906||b. 22 Dec 1835 Glasgow; ord. 6 Jul 1865; d. 7 Jun 1906; mar. 1866 Jane S. Whyte; issue: Henry, Cath., Stephenson [son], Jane W.|
|George Gordon Stott||1906-1910||b. 29 Mar 1868 Montrose, M.A. (1890) B.D. (1893) St Andrews; ass. prof. of Hebrew St Andrews 1893-4; ass. St Columba's London & South Leith; ord. 15 Dec 1898 Dulwich London; tr. to Northesk 24 Sep 1906; tr. & adm. to Cramond 10 Jun 1910; d. 23 Jun 1952; mar. 5 Apr 1899 Flora Corsar, dau. of Mark Louden Anderson, min. of Menmuir ANS, later of 2nd charge St Andrews; issue: Richard Corsar Gordon; Ian Fergusson Gordon; Geo. Gordon, lord advocate|
|John Ashplant Nicholls||1910-1917||tr. to Cambusnethan 16 May 1917|
|David Duncan||1917-||tr. from Duntocher 17 Oct 1917; d. 20 Jul 1940 Crieff|
(2) Burgher (later, United Presbyterian) Kirk
The Burgher chapel, built ca 1768, was in Bridge Street, west of the River Esk.
|James Scott||1768-1781?||ord. 20 Apr 1768, tr. to Bristo Church, Edr after 13 yrs, d. 22 Mar 1786, aged 42|
|Alexander Black||1788-1840||ord. 27 Aug 1788, dem. 1 Sep 1840, d. 30 Jan 1846 aged 81|
|George Hill||1834-1838||ind. as colleague of Alex. Black 20 May 1834, d. 19 Mar 1838 aged 34|
|James Robertson||1840-1848||ord. 27 Oct 1840, loosed from his charge 8 Aug 1848, tr. to Duncan Street, Edr, m. Elizabeth Baird 8 Oct 1845|
|Hugh Tait||1849-1852?||ord. 19 Jul 1849, emigrated to Canada|
|James Imrie||1854-1875||b. ca. 1826 Collace PER; ord. 22 Mar 1854, loosed 4 May 1875, tr. to Gillespie Church, Glasgow|
|George F. Dewar||1876-1881||b. ca. 1842 Carluke LKS; ord. 24 Jul 1876, loosed 4 Oct 1881, tr. to Strathaven LKS; mar. 1866 Margaret, dau. of William Wardrop; issue: Peter, Agnes, Lilias, Wm. Maggie, Jane, Geo.|
|Alexander Scott||1882-||ind. 11 Jul 1882|
(3) Relief Kirk
The Relief kirk, built 1783, was on the south side of Millhill, towards the west end. The building is now St Andrews Church of Scotland.
|William McKechney||1786-1828||ord. 25 Jan 1786, d. 1 Apr 1828|
|James Jeffrey||1830-1836||ord. 24 Mar 1830, tr. to Greenock 27 Sep 1836|
|Martin Wilson Livingstone||1837-1853||b. ca. 1808 Kilsyth STI; ord. 26 Apr 1837, loosed 12 Apr 1853, emigrated to Canada; mar. 1837 Margaret Thomson; issue: Robert; Mary A.; Wm; Margaret; Martin W.; Jane T.|
|Alexander B. Sclanders||1853-1861||ind. 2 Nov 1853, res. 5 Feb 1861, d. 1 Dec 1861 aged 38|
|George Barlas||1861-1896||b. ca. 1833 Perth; ind. 18 Jul 1861, d. 17 Jul 1896 aged 72; mar. 1866 Anna Margaret Paton Jack|
|David Gilchrist||1886-||ord. 8 Jul 1886?|
(4) Free Kirk, Musselburgh, from 1843
At the West Port, south side of Musselburgh High Street, facing the New Bridge over the River Esk
|John R. Glass||1843-1855||b. ca. 1804 Rothesay BUT; d. 29.12.1855, aged 51; m. Louisa Campbell MacNab; issue: Eliza M.; Barbara C.; John N. McL.; Cath. S.; D.P.; James; Louis John; Henrietta Jane|
Members & adherents of the Free Kirk, Musselburgh, 1856-9 - NRS CH3/1496/14
The Congregational Chapel is on the north side of Fisherrow High Street, east of its junction with Bridge Street.
|John Watson||minister, Congregational Church, Fisherrow, d. 5 Aug 1844, aged 66, m. Jane Lindsay|
|David Johnson||pastor, Congregational Church, Fisherrow, d. 29 Apr 1864 in Dundee, aged 25|
Until 1785, episcopalians met in Sharp's Land (now 8 Pinkie Road). An Episcopal chapel was built in 1785 on the north side of Millhill, towards its east end. The congregation later moved to the present church (St Peter's, by Paterson & Shiells, Edr) on the south side of Musselburgh High Street, at the East Port, the old chapel becoming a school.
|William Forbes||He was minister in 1745|
Testament (Edr) 18.7.1793: "late episcopal minister at Mh"
|John Falconer||1754-7; also ministered at Dalkeith|
|William Smith||episcopal minister 1773-1823, d. 25 Jan 1823, aged 73|
|Thomas Langhorne||suc. & son-in-law to Wm Smith; b. ca. 1798 England; mar. 1822 Elizabeth Rowand Smith; issue: Thomas, headmaster of Loretto School; Wm H., teacher, Loretto; Alex., teacher, Loretto; Chas James; Cath. S.|
These are online at ScotlandsPeople.
They can also be seen in person at the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh - see details at ScotlandsPeople Centre.
These are online at ScotlandsPeople.
They can also be seen in person at the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh - see details at ScotlandsPeople Centre.
They are also widely available on microfilm in libraries and Family History Societies. Microfiche indexes (for all Midlothian) of the baptisms/births and banns/marriages in these registers are also widely available in libraries and Family History Societies.
- 1607 - Apr 1709
- Jun 1709 - 31 Dec 1854 (but defective in mid 1750s)
In the National Records:
- 1769 - 1854 (NRS CH2/531/5)
- 1785 (only) for Burgher Kirk, Bridge Street (NRS CH3/1495/24)
- 1606 - Jun 1615
- Jul 1620 - Dec 1622 & 1 entry in 1623
- 1667 - 1675 not on microfilm or OPR index (see NRS CH2/531/55)
- 1687 - 1690 not on microfilm or OPR index (see NRS CH2/531/54)
- May 1690 - 31 Dec 1854 (but 2 pages are missing from the microfilm)
I will provide full details of individual entries in the Inveresk marriage register, Aug 1719 to Oct 1750 free, on request.
Marriages in which one party was residing in Inveresk, the other in Prestonpans, 1719-50, are here
Mentions of people in the parish of Inveresk found in the marriage register of the parish of Edinburgh:
Mentions of people in the parish of Inveresk found in the marriage register of the parish of Canongate:
- For 1564-1800
- Jan 1750 - Aug 1750 damaged
- Apr or May 1751 - Aug 1763
- 1783 - 31 Dec 1854 ("indexed" 1820-1854; barely coherent circa 1800)
I will provide full details of individual entries in the Inveresk burial register, 1750 to Aug 1763 free, on request.
|22 Sep 1651||antenuptial||William Leslie, merchant, BM|
Elizabeth, dau. of John Johnestoune, gardener
|14 Sep 1667||antenuptial||William Ramage, indweller in Fisherrow, BM|
Marion, dau. of Thomas Hill, indweller in Monktonhall
|10 Jul 1684||antenuptial||James Ramage, BM|
Janet, youngest dau. of Thomas Huntar, W.S.
|16 May 1694||antenuptial||Charles Wilsone, skipper in Musselburgh|
Isobel, dau. of Mr George Adam [or Adie], schoolmaster there
|late 17th-early 18th C.||antenuptial||John Cubie, eldest son of Thomas Cubie, skipper in Prestounpannes|
Janet Johnstoune, dau. of Robert Johnstoune, seaman in Fisherrow
|-- Jul 1701||antenuptial||Alexander Black, wright in Potterraw alias Easter Portsbrugh|
Margaret Thomsone, dau. of dec. Archibald Thomsone, mariner in Fisherraw, and servitrix to Archibald Buntaine of Balglass
|26 Apr 1771||postnuptial||Thomas Brown, merchant in Fisherrow|
Ann, dau. of James Gardener at Saltpans near Fisherrow (registered in Edinburgh Commissary Court Books 29.8.1771)
See also Inveresk Cemetery.
Inveresk churchyard contains memorials dating from about 1700. There are stones with dates as recent as 1957. Monumental inscriptions in the kirkyard that were extant 100 years before that, in 1857, are in the Appendix of Paterson's book and a transcript of these inscriptions is at Monumental inscriptions in Inveresk Churchyard extant in 1857. It seems probable that many monuments were moved, lost or destroyed during the building of the present church.
All known inscriptions in the kirkyard are in R. Torrance (ed.), North-East Midlothian Monumental Inscriptions, Scottish Genealogy Soc., Edinburgh, 2000, ISBN 0-901061-88-3. It would have been nice to have been able to report that this was an accurate record (e.g. William Aitchison of Drummore b. 1753, d. 1939). The editing is woefully inadequate. Parts of some inscriptions are in square brackets, but no explanation is offered for that. We are told that some stones have been renewed and have less detail than the originals, but we are not told which stones they are. The original transcriber (Cramer) is said to have combined inscriptions from separate stones, where they appeared to relate to the same family; why is there no indication of where this has occurred, or why have the inscriptions not been separated again before publication?
Stones mentioned in the burial records for 1750-1763
The dates are the earliest mentions of the stones (or railings in some cases). Some of the entries below undoubtedly refer to the same stones. A "through stone" is a horizontal stone. Date format is dd.mm.17yy. The given names "Patrick" & "Peter" were used interchangably at this time. Very few of these stones can now be identified.
The modern cemetery is immediately west of Inveresk Churchyard and is being steadily expanded westwards over the site of the Roman fort.
The registers of burials and burial lair plans for Inveresk Cemetery are held at the Registration Office, Brunton Hall, Musselburgh (Tel 0131 653 5225/5226). See East Lothian Council: Paying for the burial.
I am not aware of any listing of the monuments in the modern cemetery.
The Scottish War Memorials Project:
The Scottish War Graves Project:
Inveresk Cemetery - and further pages accessible from there
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref. CH2/531/...|
|do||1900-||7 to 10|
|Scroll minutes||1855-1948||11 to 15|
|Heritors' & kirk session minutes re poor||1758-1809||16|
|Poors' House directors' minutes||1749-1765||17|
|Poors' House committee minutes||1752-1765||17|
|Poors' House directors' minutes||1765-1779||18|
|Poors' House accounts||1753-1774||18|
|Cash books||1840-1951||23 to 26|
|Hastie's Fund & Cowan's Legacy accounts||1810-88||28|
|Parish Library & Sunday School accounts||1840-85||29|
|Chalmers's & Campbell's Bequests accounts||1840-47||30|
|Baptismal registers||1858-1954||31 to 34|
|Proclamations||1855-1947||35 to 39|
|Proclamation certificates||40 to 42|
|Communion Rolls||1867-1946||43 to 52|
|List of young communicants at Kelso||1801-06||56|
|List of young communicants in parish of Inveresk||1806-37||56|
|Allocation of seats||1808||63|
|Vacancy committee minutes||1905-10||64 to 66|
|Dr Edie Memorial committee minutes||1938-40||67|
|Waterloo Subscription accounts||1816-47||68|
|State of stipend||1816-40||69|
|Assessments for repairs||1815-18||71 to 72|
|Decreet of locality||1781||73|
|Sermons preached by Mr John Williamson, minister at Inveresk [printed]||1721||74|
|Misc. correspondence, minutes & accounts of kirk session & heritors||18 & 19 century||75|
|List of proclamations||1959-77||78|
- George Adie [or Aldie or Adam] (with wife, 4 children & 1 servant) appears in Poll Tax for 1695
- George Allan, schoolmaster in Fisherrow (m. Sep 1749); English Schoolmaster, admitted BM 1750
- Mr James Bayne, schoolmaster at Musselburgh (m. Violet Aird, 16.5.1703 Edr)
- Robert Borthwick, English Schoolmaster (mar. cautioner Nov 1749); 1759
- Robert Clarkson, in Fisherrow (1813); in Millhill (1819)
- Mr Walter Danielstoune: his son Robert appr. 10.12.1690 to Patrick Crichton, founder, burgess of Edr)
- John Dumbar, died before 1751
- Archibald Duncan (with wife & servant) listed in Poll Tax for 1695
- Mr David Fraser, master of the Grammar School (m. Margaret Broun, Dec. 1731; Mary Dick, 26 Nov. 1738 Edr)
- Thomas Handyside, doctor [i.e. teacher] to the English School (bapt. witness 7.5.1748); teacher, 1757 (see also Duddingston entry)
- Mr William Jaffrey/Jeffrey, Schoolmaster to the Latin School (i.e. Grammar School), appointed 27.4.1722; died 5.4.1763
- Mr Jerven 1757 [same as Jeffrey?]
- John Kellto or Keltie, schoolmaster in Inveresk (m. Mary Broun June 1730, still in Invk in 1751)
- John Murray A.M., Rector of the Grammar School, d. 26.4.1794, aged 68 (m. Mrs Helen McEwan; dau. Martha b. 1.11.1789)
- John Murray (perhaps son of above?), schoolmaster in Musselburgh; his son David appr. at Edr 15.2.1798
- Mr John Nicolson, master of the Grammar School (marriage cautioner, July 1721)
- Mr Ramsay (m. Helen Douglas; dau. Elizabeth b. 25.11.1789)
- Mr Thomas Robertson, Rector of the Grammar School (m. Jemima Douglas, 2.7.1813 S. Leith) d. 3.8.1835, aged 48
- John Taylor A.M., Rector of the Grammar School (d. before 3.2.1824; his dau. Matilda m. Alex Vernor, esq., of Holmes, 3.2.1824)
- William Walker, Musselburgh (19th century) (m. Elisabeth Ellis)
- Thomas Young, BM, tanner, Session Clerk & English Schoolmaster, d. 18.5.1756 (appointed schoolmaster 1720)
- Robert Anderson, surgeon at Musselburgh (d. bef. 28.9.1718; his dau. Margaret m. John Robertson, tailor, 31.10.1718 Edr)
- Alexander Bruce, surgeon in Musselburgh; his sons Alex & George appr. at Edr in 1800
- Thomas Dallas, surgeon in Musselburgh, testament (Edr) 15.5.1770; his son Thomas appr. at Edr 26.5.1785
- Benjamin McEven (McEwen), chirurgeon-apothecary (marriage cautioner, March 1723)
- Alexander Neilson, with wife & 2 servants, listed in Poll Tax of 1695
- Alexander Reid, surgeon in Fisherrow; his dau. Ann mar. Thomas Fyfe, tailor, 14.7.1730 Edr
- Mr Archibald Scot, surgeon, m. (in Aberdeen) Oct 1744 Elisabeth Chalmers (dau. to Mr Wm Chalmers, merchant, late provost of Aberdeen) (See also Consistorial processes, Nos 881, 1017)
- George Turnbull, with wife & servant, listed in Poll Tax of 1695
- George Turnbull (same man?), chirurgeon-apothecary (marriage cautioner, July 1721)
- Robert Wilson, surgeon in Musselburgh (spouse Margaret Handasyde d. 7.5.1836)
- James Bishop in Musselburgh, c & w maker, admitted BM 1787
- George Blackie in Musselburgh, c & w maker, adm. BM 1796
- Thomas Hencher in Musselburgh, c & w maker, adm. BM 1778
- Francis Henderson, late in Musselburgh, now in Edinburgh, c & w maker, Process of Divorce, 1790 (See Consistorial processes, No. 944)
- Alexander Moffat, watchmaker, Musselburgh, adm. BM 1790, d. 26.9.1830, testament (Edr) 1831
- John Anderson, tidewaiter, admitted BM 1754
- Hugh Fraser, officer of customs in Fisherrow, mar. Jean Linnen, 17.8.1735 Edr
- James Grieve, land-waiter residing in Fisherrow, testament (Edr) 4.11.1777
- Lowrie Lees, tidewaiter in Fisherrow, d. 29.6.1756
- David Robertson, land waiter, Fisherrow (dau. Rachel's testament, 29.1.1814)
- David Stewart, customer at the Lodge, adm. BM 1746
- Andrew Tough, tidewaiter in Fisherrow in 1751
- Charles Venter(s)/Ventire, tidewaiter in Fisherrow, adm. BM 1751
- Thomas Campbell, supervisor of excise at Musselburgh; his son Thomas appr. at Edr 1.7.1790
- John Christian, late collector of excise, d. 21.1.1758, Fisherrow
- James Finlay, officer of excise, m. (irreg.) 18.6.1725 Marion Ramage
- Mr Good, officer of excise, marriage cautioner 17.11.1741
- Alexander Hill, officer of excise, West Pans (dau. Lucy buried 12.12.1814 Invk)
- John Hunter, late collector of excise, d. 3.10.1753, Millhill
- Thomas Melvill, retired officer, excise, Fisherrow, d. 1.2.1835, testament (Edr) 1835
- Alexander Robertson, officer of excise, d. 6.7.1840, aged 68
- Anthony Smith, officer of excise at Fisherrow, testament (Edr) 29.11.1735
- Robert Smith, officer of excise at Musselburgh; his son Robert appr. at Edr 14.11.1793
- George Welsh, officer of excise, m. 12.9.1748 Margaret Smith, Invk
Customs or Excise?
- Mr John Hamilton, collector (marriage cautioner, July 1724)
|1755||4645||(Dr Alexander Webster)|
|1792 (Nov./Dec.)||5392||(Old Statistical Account - see details below)|
Source: Old Statistical Account
|Within the burgh of Musselburgh:|
|Musselburgh, West Pans, etc.||1640|
|Fisherrow, Marketgate, Bridgend, etc.||1799|
|Timberbush, Spring Garden, Brunstane Mill, Magdalene Pans, etc.||86|
|In the country parish:|
|Monkton & Cairnie||120|
|Whitehill & New Hailes||61|
|Stoneyhill, Stoneybank, etc.||48|
|Employed in coal pits||260|
|total in country||1377|
|total in burgh||4015|
|total population of Inveresk parish||5392|
Images of the original records for Inveresk:
NRS ref. E70/8/10
Manuscript transcript available in Scottish Genealogy Society Library. Also now published as part of R. Torrance (ed.), North-East Midlothian Monumental Inscriptions, Scottish Genealogy Soc., Edinburgh, 2000, ISBN 0-901061-88-3. Contains names of 682 heads of household and some others; wives, children and servants are mentioned but in most cases not named.
NRS ref. E69/16/1/1
Images of the original records for Inveresk, accessible only on payment of subscription:
Nos 1-5 were drawn up by the kirk session to provide the names of children to be examined in their catechism, and were probably used by Dr Alexander Webster in computing the total population of Scotland in 1755.
- 4 Dec 1741 with alterations Jan 1744: List of examinable persons east of the River Esk (NRS ref. CH2/531/54)
- 30 Nov 1742: A list of examinable persons west of the River Esk (NRS ref. CH2/531/54)
- Jan 1749: A list of persons east of the River Esk (NRS ref. CH2/531/55)
- 14 Feb 1749: List of examinable persons on north (i.e. west) side of water (NRS ref. CH2/531/55) (parishioners over about 7 years of age). [Transcript & index in preparation. Meantime, please contact me if you'd like to know if a family is on the list, which covers Fisherrow, Market Street, Bridgend, Monktonhall, etc.]
- 15 Jan 1755: List of people of all ages on the east side of the water of Musselburgh (i.e. the River Esk) (NRS ref. CH2/531/55). Incomplete.
- 1831: Population of parish (NRS ref. CH2/531/57)
- 1833-38: Population of parish (NRS ref. CH2/531/58)
- 1835: Ecclesiastical census of part of the parish (NRS ref. CH2/531/59).
- 19th century: District roll (NRS ref. CH2/531/60)
- 19th century: Roll of parish (NRS ref. CH2/531/61)
These are online at ScotlandsPeople.
They can also be seen in person at the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh - see details at ScotlandsPeople Centre.
Census records are also widely available in libraries (such as the Scottish Genealogy Society's Library and Edinburgh Central Library) on microfilm. Microfiche indexes to the censuses of 1881 and 1891 are also widely available.
The 1881 census is also available on CD-ROM, but be warned that numerous inhabitants of Inveresk on the CD-ROM are incorrectly listed as having been born in "Middlesex, England" instead of "Midlothian, Scotland".
Indexes to the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses have been published by the Lothians Family History Soc.
The censuses of 1801, 1811, 1821 and 1831 do not name individuals.
Directories covering Edinburgh, Leith and Midlothian, including Musselburgh and Inveresk for other years are available in book form. Many are now online, at http://www.archive.org, e.g.:
A search on Google for '"Edinburgh & Leith Post Office Directory" site:archive.org' will find more.
- Robert Bennett, fl. 1560-1585
- Richard Bennet, early 17th century
- George Dickson, early 17th century
- John Cass, in office Dec 1636
- George Vallange, mid 17th century
- William Smyth, portioner of Monktonhall, d. 12.5.1678[?] aged 31
- Robert Litster, writer (i.e. lawyer) in Edinburgh, appointed 2 Jun 1679, d. ca. 1695, his memorial in Inveresk kirkyard extant in 1759; m. Margaret Duncan who d. 15.9.1690 aged 29
- Robert Vernor, writer in Edinburgh, appointed 17 May 1697, testament (Edr) 12 Mar 1707
- James Paterson, testament (Edr) 10 Nov 1708
- Thomas Tod yr, in office by 22 Jun 1713; still in office 24 Jul 1731; testament (Edr) 14 May 1735
- Robert Herriot, in office 20 Jan 1733, 14 Jun 1734
- [...] Smith, his memorial first mentioned in burial register in 1752; perhaps same as William Smyth above
- Thomas Tod, in office 2 Feb 1745, 21 Jan 1748; m. Margaret Smart 14 Feb 1745; m. Agnes Milne 8 Jun 1750; testament (Edr) 5 Mar 1773
- Thomas Thomson, 1784; d. 30.12.1817 aged 87; m. Margaret Nelson
- George Thomson, 1819, 1823; d. 20.3.1846 aged 69; m. Margaret Stewart
- Thomas Lees, d. 18.1.1878; m. Margaret Crease
|1560-1585||Robert Bennett, notary public & town clerk||B52/1/16|
|1601-1621||John Cass, notary public||B52/1/19|
|1613-1620||George Dickson, notary public & town clerk||B52/1/17|
|1679-1692||Robert Litster, writer in Edinburgh & town clerk||B52/1/18|
|William Aitchison of Drummore||1833-?||1st provost|
|Sir John Hope of Craighall||?-?||2nd provost|
|Robert Legat of Eskpark||?-?||17 Dec 1857||Testament (Edr) recorded 1858|
|Dr -- Laurie||?-1877-?|
|Peter Keir||1878-1899||ca. 1826||23 Jan 1907|
|Robert Millar||1911-1916||ca. 1845||26 Dec 1918|
|William Constable||?-?||16 Aug 1863||architect; Article|
|John Hendry Paton||1937-?||8 Sep 1866 Largs AYR||21 Dec 1941||master butcher|
|William Caird, M.B.E.||?-1970-?||5 Jul 1908 Musselburgh||26 Dec 2002 Musselburgh|
|Mrs Jessie B. Burns||?-1974-?|
Musselburgh belonged anciently to the Abbey of Dunfermline in Fife, the lands of Inveresk being part of that abbey's `Regality of Dunfermline'. An attempt in 1632 to raise its status to that of `Royal Burgh' was squashed by Edinburgh Town Council, who feared competition on their doorstep. This prevented Musselburgh from engaging in foreign trade.
Until the reforms of 1833, there were 18 councillors, including two bailies (magistrates). Two councillors retired each year at Michaelmas, 29 September, & two new councillors were elected. Of the total of 18, 10 had to reside within the burgh, 6 in Fisherrow, Bridgend or Marketgate, and 2 in Newbg, Millhill or at the salt pans.
[Source: Paterson's book. Paterson is referring to a time, perhaps as early as 1700, when the 'burgh' included nothing more than the houses in Musselburgh High Street. The limits of the burgh were steadily expanded, as is clear from Population in 1792.]
- Roll of burgesses of Musselburgh, 1742-1974, NRS ref. B52/11/2
- Roll of honorary burgesses of Musselburgh, 1758-1973, NRS ref. B52/11/1
|17.10.1681||John Home of Eccles||RH10/149|
|10.02.1727||John Thomson, tobacconist||RH10/150|
|03.08.1776||Davis Ross, accountant, GPO, Edinburgh||RH10/151|
|26.06.1809||Lieut. George Stewart, Edinburgh Local Militia||GD103/2/485|
|29.03.1814||Ensign John Pitcairn, 1st (Highland) Regiment, merchant, Leith||RH10/152|
Burgess ticket of Lieut. John Bain of the 4th Battalion, Royal Scots, dated 9.7.1812
Inveresk men admitted as burgesses of St Andrews in Fife
|William Burns||merchant in Musselburgh||18.9.1762|
|Alexander Handasyde||mason in Fisherraw||14.1.1766|
|Gilbert Handasyde||tailor in Inveresk||10.12.1761|
|John Paterson||merchant in Musselburgh||-.2.1726|
|George Young||merchant in Fisherrow||8.10.1728|
David Dobson - The Burgess Roll of St Andrews 1700-1750 (St Andrews: David Dobson, 1994)
David Dobson - The Burgess Roll of St Andrews 1751-1775 (St Andrews: David Dobson, 1995: ISBN 1-899686-21-5)
Men with Inveresk connexions admitted burgess of Edinburgh (BE) or burgess & guildbrother of Edinburgh (BGE)
Entries in the Edinburgh burgess rolls that mention Inveresk
List for the years 1406-1841 is here.
Entries in the Edinburgh burgess rolls for men who originated in Inveresk
Information additional to that in the burgess roll is in square brackets
name designation admitted as by right of date Robert Brysson brewer [BM, ex Fisherrow] BE wife Jean, dau. to Martin Robertson, brewer 11.3.1657 John Burton baxter in [South] Leith. [ex Carberry]
[1st cousin to Mr Alex. Robertson]
BGE 30.6.1669 Mr Alexander Robertson [merchant, brewer, son of Martin R.] BGE [first] wife Margaret, dau. to Robert Young [merchant, brewer] 3.6.1674 Martin Robertson [BM, indweller in Invk; later brewer in the Society] BE 27.8.1656
See the list for the years 1583-1800 here
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref.|
|Minute books of Fisherrow Harbour (3 vols)||1840-1904||B52/9/1, 2, 3|
|Treasurer's accounts (Archibald Hislop)||1755/56||B52/10/1|
|Treasurer's accounts (George Young)||1773/74||B52/10/2|
|Justice of the Peace Court Book||1656-1661||B52/11/5|
|Bond Book of the Royal Company of Archers, including Record of Winners of the Silver Arrow||1678-1975||B52/11/5|
|Record of payments made by George Vallange, collector of fines & unlaws of Musselburgh JP Court||1656-1661||B52/11/10|
|Register of roupings by Burgh of Musselburgh||1676-1715||B52/11/10|
|Customs: Magdalen's Harbour & petty customs of Fisherrow||1702||B52/11/10|
|Customs: Fleshstocks, firlots & fairs of Musselburgh||1702||B52/11/10|
|Dues payable to multurers & millers||1705||B52/11/10|
|Register of Protests||1737-1744||B52/12/1|
|Minute Book of Deeds||1773-1809||B52/12/1|
|Register of Deeds||1757-1795||B52/12/2|
|Register of Deeds||1795-1809||B52/12/3|
|Deeds and Protests - Warrants||1753-6, 1758, 1759, 1768||B52/13/1|
|Chartulary of Burgh Lands, no. 1||1696-1796||B52/1/1|
|do, no. 2||1776-1814||B52/1/2|
|do, no. 3||1794-1816||B52/1/3|
|do, no. 4||1816-1827||B52/1/4|
|do, no. 5||1827-1841||B52/1/5|
|do, no. 6||1841-1870||B52/1/6|
- Baxters (bakers)
- Fleshers (butchers)
- Dissolving of the Musselburgh Fleshers' Society 1860, NRS ref. B52/8/7
- Gardeners: charter of 1744
- Hammermen (smiths): charter of 1674
- Account book 1761-1801, NRS ref. B52/8/4
- Account book 1799-1827, NRS ref. B52/8/5
- Account book 1800-1813, NRS ref. B52/8/6
- Shoemakers: charter of 1666
- Account book 1668-1785, NRS ref. B52/8/1
- Legal documents, sasines, bonds 1574-1780, NRS ref. B52/8/2
- Miscellaneous correspondence, vouchers, etc. ca.1686-ca.1883, NRS ref. B52/8/3
Manuscripts in the National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- MSS 1995, 1996: Minute books for the years 1669-1816
- MSS 1997, 1998: Cash books for 1689-1889
- MS 1999: Loose papers for 1684-1889
- Collection of papers, Alexander Penman, Musselburgh, NRS ref. RH9/1/263
- Collection of papers, Lands of Monktonhall, NRS ref. RH15/94
- Papers of Dalrymple of Newhailes, part of NRS ref. GD246. They include:
- Writs of lands of Inveresk 1619-78
- Papers re action of declarator, Sir Charles Dalrymple of Newhailes, Bt, vs Burgh of Musselburgh 1903-4
- Plans and papers re alteration of school at Newhailes into dwelling house 1826-88
- Papers re Newhailes public roads 1790-1872
- Papers re Newhailes coal workings 1710-1835
- Papers re Inveresk church and churchyard 1805-16
Buccleuch Muniments, GD224. They include:
Musselburgh Volunteers, 1797-8: Rolls, letters from bailie & major George Young, etc. GD224/687/2 Rentals of Dalkeith, Musselburgh & Inveresk, 1723-27 GD224/983/1 do, 1728-35 GD224/983/2 do, 1736-44 GD224/983/3 do, 1761-8, 1771-2 GD224/983/4 Rectified locality & rental of parish of Inveresk, 1781, with account of feu & teind duties due from lordship of Musselburgh, crop 1714, & rental of feu & teind duties of Musselburgh & Inveresk, crops 1748-50 GD224/984/1 Rentals of Dalkeith, Musselburgh, Inveresk, etc., from 1812/3 to 1828/9 GD224/987/1
Miscellaneous items in the National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Morton Papers: 75, no. 75: undated letter of James Richardson of Smeaton
- Morton Papers: 84, no. 45: letter of 1627 signed by Sir James Richardson
- Charter 1157: Feu contract with Musselburgh of 1826
- Charters 6230 & 6236: deeds of & concerning James Richardson of Smeaton of the year 1576
- Charter 6239: deed of or concerning James Richardson of Smeaton of the year 1577
- MS 2956, ff.198-200: Discharges to Musselburgh Town Council of 1627 & 1642
- MS 6481, fo. 1: Agreement concerning mill of Musselburgh of 1582
- Acc.9856: David Macbeth Moir ("Delta") - manuscripts, correspondence
(Records: A table for the multures payable to millers 1705, NRS ref. B.52/11/10)
Sheriff, Shire or Shirrie Mill
Located south of Musselburgh, on the River Esk, at Cowpits. This may reasonably be supposed to have been the chief mill of the shire called Musselburghshire that existed before Inveresk became the property of Dunfermline Abbey; see Prof. G.W.S. Barrow's The Kingdom of the Scots, 2nd ed., Edinburgh, 2003, p. 44 on the subject of shire mills, shire muirs, king's mills and king's muirs in the context of shires and thanes.
Old & New West Mills
Adjacent to one another at the West Port of Musselburgh (west end of the High Street). Occupied in 17th century by several generations of a family called Scot.
At the foot of the vennel called Ker's Wynd, north of Musselburgh High Street
Between Easter Duddingston & Fisherrow, on the Brunstane Burn, & probably originally in Liberton parish. The "New Mill of Gilbertoun, commonly called Brunstane", built on the acre known as Farthinghaugh, was in use by 1628. Farthinghaugh was the property of a family called Robertson from 1628 until 1742 or later. The site of the "Old Mill of Gilbertoun", in ruins in 1670, is unknown, though there are references to an upper & nether mill. See Paterson for a somewhat confused account.
See John Shaw, Water Power in Scotland 1550-1870 (Edinburgh: John Donald, 1984):
- page 281: ref. to Andrew Pringle, millwright at Brunstane Mill, who claimed in 1790 to have invented a water-powered teazer, & was awarded £30 for his efforts by the Board of Trustees for Manufactures. See NRS ref. NG.1/1/27 for 10 Feb 1790 & 8 Dec 1790.
- p. 466: ref. to use as woollen cloth manufactory from circa 1781, & as a skinnery by Peter Wilson 1794-1802, & for both uses 1802-1810.
- p. 472: ref. to flint mill for glass or pottery upstream of Brunstane Mill, working 1812. See John Knox's Map of Lothian 1812.
William Baird (Annals of Duddingston & Portobello, Edinburgh: Andrew Elliot 1898) states that John Thomson of Priorletham began a woollen factory at the mill in 1793, abandoning it a year or two later.
There was a pottery at Westpans [west with respect to Prestonpans] by 1738, when a Robert Peet (or Pate) sought funds to establish himself in business. James Thomson held a tack (lease) there in 1750. Samuel Lammas held the lease from 1754. Thereafter, Anthony Hilcoat, Adam Cubie, Thomas Shelley, William Littler (in 1764), William Dallaway and William Littler - all Englishmen except Cubie - were active there. The pottery closed around 1777.
There was also a pottery in Newbg from 1800 to 1930. It was initially the property of a William Reid; ownership passed to Dr William Affleck Gray in 1889 (though he had run the pottery since 1868) and, later, his sons. Mrs Marion Richardson bought the pottery in 1926, but it was abandoned by 1930 and she sold it in 1932.
- Haggarty, G. - Newbg Pottery Musselburgh, East Lothian, Scottish Pottery 18th Historical Review, (1996), 15-38
- Haggarty, G. & McIntyre, A. - Newbg Pottery East Lothian, Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot., 126, (1996), 943-962
- Forbes, S. & Haggarty, G. - William Reid's Newbg Pottery, Musselburgh 1800-1932, Northern Ceramic Soc. J., 19, (2002), 15-27
- Forbes, S. & Haggarty, G. The Ceramic History of West Pans: Part 1, Northern Ceramic Soc. J., 21, (2005), 29-47
- Forbes, S. & Haggarty, G. - The Ceramic History of West Pans: Part 2, Northern Ceramic Soc. J., 22, (2005-6), 5-22
- Forbes, S. & Haggarty, G. - The Musselburgh Pottery, Northern Ceramic Soc. J., 23 (2006-7), 159-165
- Haggarty, G. - Pots at the Pans: William Littler's Porcelain Factory at West Pans, Trans. E. Lothian Antiq. & Field Nat. Soc., XXIV, (2010), 4-29
- Flora Davidson - Marriages of the Forfarshire Militia when in Inveresk Parish Midlothian (1803-06) (Tay Valley Family Historian, no. 59, pp. 30-2, May 2001 [Tay Valley Family History Soc., Dundee, 2001: ISSN 0267-9884])
- Robert W. Weir - History of the Scottish Borderers [Dumfriesshire Militia]
- Hay's map of 1824 indicates the site of barracks - "Barracks for 1000 Infantry were erected here 1803 - Demolished 1814." - on the south side of Pinkie Road, immediately east of the old railway line that led north from Pinkie Coal Work.
The following militia regiments were at Musselburgh in the period 1803-14:
- Berwickshire Militia
Originally stationed at Port Seton, by Prestonpans. Moved ca 17.6.1805 to Musselburgh.
- Dumfriesshire Militia (alias Dumfriesshire, Roxburghshire & Selkirkshire Militia)
Embodied 5.4.1803. In barracks at Musselburgh from 26.5.1803. Moved to Edinburgh Castle, 12.10.1806. Moved to Dalkeith, 5.6.1807. Moved back to Musselburgh, 20.5.1809 and 2 days later to Haddington. Disbanded 13.8.1814.
- Forfarshire Militia
In Musselburgh by 30.7.1803 and still there 14.10.1806 [on basis of banns listed by Davidson].
- Renfrewshire Militia
Left Musselburgh 17.6.1805 for England.
Some of the militia stationed at Musselburgh were moved to guard French prisoners at Penicuik MLN after 27.4.1805.
Photographs of houses - just 3
EdinPhoto: Musselburgh - old photographs of Musselburgh.
Geograph.org: Inveresk - recent photographs of Inveresk. National Grid ref. NT3471.
Geograph.org: Musselburgh & Fisherrow - recent photographs of Musselburgh & Fisherrow. National Grid ref. NT3472.
Just a list at present. I hope to add details soon. If you know of other pre-1900 place-names and their locations, please let me know.
Consistorial processes and decreets at Edinburgh [NRS CC8]
Ref.: Francis J. Grant (ed.), The Commissariot of Edinburgh: Consistorial Processes and Decreets, 1658-1800, Scottish Record Soc., Edinburgh, 1909
|230||1723||Process of Scandal||Agnes Scott spouse to William Johnston, candle maker in Musselburgh, and he for himself and for his interest, against Alexander Harper, shoemaker in Tranent 1723|
|280||1732||Process of Scandal||John Johnston, flesher in Dalkeith, against John M'Millan, flesher, Musselburgh, and tacksman of the parks, Newbattle 1732|
|301||1736||Declaration of Freedom||Agnes Gairns, daughter lawful to Alexander Gairns, tenant in Coats, late in Musselburgh, against William Jones, soldier in Captain Robert Forrester's Company in Colonel Archibald Hamilton's regiment. No warrants IV 57-2 16 April 1736|
|302||1736||Process of Scandal||Robert Ramsay and James Crichton, masons in Fisherrow, against John Thomson, shoemaker in Bridgend in Musselburgh|
|383||1748||Conjoined Processes of Declarator of Silence, &c.||Samuel Steele, soldier in Captain Thomas Walter Young, his troop, in the Regiment of Dragoons, commanded by Hon. Colonel Nagon, against Isobel Beggs, late in Dublin, in Ireland, now residenter at the Port of Leith, near Edinburgh, and Patrick and Jean Steeles, children of said Samuel and Isobell. The pursuer married in November 1745. Janet, lawful daughter to James Anderson, maltman in Fisherrow, and had issue James, 29 August 1747. Decree in favour of said Samuel Steele VI 582 18 Mar. 1748|
|628||1774||Process of Divorce||Rachael Forbes, spouse of John Sharp, late tenant in Monkton hall, only child of the deceased Patrick Forbes of Knapperny and Elizabeth Sinclair, his wife, against the said John Sharp, eldest lawful son to John Sharp, stabler in Pleasance XIV 23 and 29 Mar. 1774|
|742||1781||Process of Scandal||James Veitch, farmer in Newbg of Musselburgh, Alison Veitch, his spouse, and George Veitch, residenter there, brother of the said James, against Elizabeth Cathie, spouse of John Gibson, weaver in Newbg 1781|
|881||1789||Process of Petition and Complaint||Mrs. Helen Douglas, spouse to James Baillie of Olivebank, Esquire, and her husband, against Mrs. Elizabeth Chalmers, widow of Archibald Scott, surgeon in Musselburgh. Interlocutor 16 July 1789|
|922||1789||Process of Separation and Aliment||Ann Reid, daughter of the deceased James Reid, coachmaker in Canongate, against Robert Cumming, Lieutenant in H.M. Navy, presently residing at Musselburgh, married 12 July 1786. Defender assoilzied 2 March 1789|
|944||1790||Process of Divorce||Francis Henderson, clock and watch maker, late in Musselburgh, now in Edinburgh, against Janet Watson, lawful daughter of Hugh Watson, weaver in Edinburgh, his spouse. Decree 16 June 1790|
|1017||1786-93||Process of Scandal||Mrs. Elizabeth Chalmers, spouse of Archibald Scott, surgeon in Musselburgh, and the said now deceased Archibald Scott for himself, against Mrs. Helen Douglas, wife of James Baillie, Esquire, of Olive Bank, near Fisherrow XXII 16 Sept., 20 Nov. 1786, 5 and 7 Feb., 26 Mar., 25 Apr. 1787, 3 Apr. 1793|
|1072||1796||Process of Divorce||Peter Taylor, wright in Leith, against Mary Elliot, his spouse, daughter of the deceased Ralph Elliot, shipmaster in Musselburgh, married 11 January 1793 XXIII 419 23 and 29 Apr. 1796|
|1097||1797||Process of Divorce||Elizabeth Pierie, second daughter of Lieutenant John Pierie of the Royal Navy, spouse of John Jackson, hatter in Edinburgh, and hat manufacturer in Musselburgh, against the said John Jackson, married March 1791 XXIII 795 6 and 20 Mar. 1797|
|1134||1798||Process of Scandal||Mary Tennant, spouse of Andrew Fyvie, vintner in Musselburgh, against Thomas Legat, tanner in Musselburgh 1798|
|1158||1799||Process of Declarator of Marriage||Ann Sutherland, residenter in Edinburgh, spouse of John M'Kean, servant to James Wedderburn, Esquire at Inveresk, against the said John M'Kean. Defender assoilzied 18 Oct. 1799|
|1188||1800||Process of Divorce||Jean Munro, daughter of Alexander Munro, shoemaker in Fisherrow, and spouse of John Hislop, sometime gentleman's servant in Edinburgh, against the said John Hislop, married 1785 XXV 119 28 Feb. and 7 Mar. 1800|
National Records of Scotland, ref. NRS DC5. These are records for the years 1804 to 1975 for Musselburgh District Council and its predecessors, including records of the parochial board.
Some details of Inveresk Combination Poorhouse, including a map and photographs of the building, are available here.
Registers of Sasines: Land ownership
The registers of sasines (changes of ownership of land) for the Sheriffdom of Edinburgh (which includes Inveresk) can be seen in person in the Historical Search Room at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.
Valuation rolls of properties in Inveresk, for the years 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915 and 1920 only, can be seen at ScotlandsPeople. These name owners and occupiers/tenants of properties.
Testaments (wills & inventories), recorded at Edinburgh
Indexes to all extant pre-1926 testamentary records (wills & inventories of moveable property) can be searched free of charge at ScotlandsPeople. Digital (and paper) copies of the documents can be purchased at that site.
Note that hardly any of these testaments before 1800 include the will of the deceased, being largely accounts of the 'goods and gear' of the deceased and of debts owed and owing. Some of them mention relatives.
(T)D&S = (trust) disposition & settlement; Mh = Musselburgh; Fw = Fisherrow; Edr = Edinburgh
EIC = East India Company; Invk = Inveresk; Invy = inventory
Newbigging = Newbg; mert. = merchant; portr. = portioner
rel = relict; serv. = servant; sp = spouse; s.t. = sometime
TD = testament dative; TT = testament testamentar
16th century testaments of people with Inveresk connexions
An almost complete list of those for whom there are testaments and who were resident in Inveresk.
17th century testaments of people with Inveresk connexions - just a few so far
18th century testaments of people with Inveresk connexions - not yet a full list
Final column: T = testate (i.e. deceased left a will); I = intestate (i.e. no will)
|John Begg||son of Erskine B.; merchant in S. America; will dated at Lima, 1831||1843x1847 Chile||1847 London||-|
|William Begg||half-brother of above Erskine B.; merchant in Liverpool||1811||1811 Chester||-|
|Marion Elly||Mh; sp of James Munro, gardener||3.12.1834||1835||I|
|Gilbert Handasyde||[farmer, Invk] at Portobello||31.3.1858||1858||T|
|Adam Lawson||cabinet maker (see Eliz. Swinton)||-||-||-|
|John Legat||tanner & leather mert., Mh||28.3.1863||1863|
|Robert Legat||of Eskpark, provost of Mh||17.12.1857||1858|
|Thomas Legat||tanner, Mh||24.4.1850||1850|
|Elizabeth McBeath||Mh; rel of Robert Moir, vintner||31.8.1842||1843||T|
|William Marshall||Midfield Cottage, Invk||14.1.1842||1842||I|
|Thomas Melvill||retired officer, Excise, Fw||1.2.1835||1835||I|
|John Mitchell||wood mert., Fw||2.2.1832||1832||I|
|Robert Mitchell||wood mert., Fw||1.2.1832||1832||I|
|Alexander Moffat||watchmaker, Mh||26.9.1830||1831||T|
|Robert Moir||vintner (see Eliz. McBeath)||-||-||-|
|Rev. Dr Leslie Moodie||of Invk||27.7.1840||1840||T|
|James Munro||gardener (see Marion Elly)||-||-||-|
|Miss Elizabeth Murray||Rosemount, Mh||6.12.1840||1840||T|
|Alexander Robertson||Levenhall, Mh||17.3.1840||1842|
|Alison Robertson||Fw, late serv. to David Milne, mert., Edr||21.1.1839||1839|
|Duncan Robertson||innkeeper, Mh||-.-.1829||1829|
|George Robertson||cabinet maker, Newbg (see Eliz. Swinton)||-||-||-|
|George Robertson||cabinet maker, Newbg||10.4.1836||(1) 1847|
|George Robertson||clothier & grocer, Mh||5.4.1842||1842|
|James Robertson||smith & spirit retailer, Mh||9.3.1851||1851|
|James Robertson||smith & ironmonger, Newbg||11.10.1863||1864|
|Thomas Robertson||late Grammar School, Mh||3.8.1835||1836|
|Elizabeth Robertson or Smart||Fw||18.4.1841||1841|
|John Ross||Quarter Master of 71st Foot, Eskside, Mh||15.3.1837||1837||T|
|Elizabeth Swinton||rel of Adam Lawson, cabinet maker, & [sp] of George Robertson, cabinet maker, Newbg||9.10.1832||1837|
and some more, with some overlaps
|surname||given name||date of|
|Ainslie||Grace||13.12.1847||Mrs, alias Skirving, residing at Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Bertram||William||22.5.1844||residing in Smeaton in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Briggs||Katherine||16.5.1849||Miss, residing at Invk near Mh||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Brown||James||20.7.1825||Capt of 55th Regt & 71st Regt, residing at Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Burnet||Mary||16.5.1811||Mrs, alias Parker, rel of Capt Peter Burnet of Invk||Invy ; Settlement||Edr SC Inv|
|Burnet||Mary||5.6.1811||or Parker, rel of Capt Peter Burnet of Invk||TT||Edr CC|
|Cameron||Barbara||25.4.1849||Miss, residing at Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Carlyle||Alexander||27.11.1807||Dr, Minister at Invk||TT||Edr CC|
|Chalmers||Katharine Forbes||4.2.1840||Miss, residing in Rosehall of Mh in par. Invk||Last W & T||Edr SC Inv|
|Charles||Hugh||22.11.1849||Surgeon in the RN, residing at Fw in Mh in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Charles||Robert||17.7.1849||Flesher in Mh in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Clarkson||Robert||29.11.1831||Teacher at Millhill in Mh in parish of Invk||Invy ; Testament||Edr SC Inv|
|Colt||Mary||18.11.1802||wife of Major Charles Pye of the 3rd Regt of Dragoons, & dau of Oliver Colt of Invk||TD||Edr CC|
|Dalrymple||James||1.11.1831||Esq of Invk||Invy, D&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Davison||Catherine||24.12.1825||rel of Rodham Home of Longformacus, Rear Admiral of the Red, Invk||TT||Edr CC|
|Donaldson||James||8.10.1819||in Invk, st Serv to Mr Aitchison of Drummore||TD||Edr CC|
|Dougall||Margaret||9.5.1845||residing in High Street of Fw, in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Fergusson||Charles Dalrymple||11.7.1849||Sir, of Kilkerran & Hailes bart, died at Catherine Lodge, Invk, sp of Helen Boyle, dau of David Boyle, Lord Justice Clerk of Scotland||Invy; Contr of mar; TD&S; Additional TD&S||Ayr SC|
|Forman||Hannah||20.11.1850||Mrs, alias Nairne, residing at Invk, rel of John Forman, WS||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Handasyde||Charles||26.5.1824||Farmer at Invk||Invy, D&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Hay||Isobel||20.12.1848||residing at Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Hay||Margaret||4.2.1834||residing in Invk, dau of Major George Hay||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Home||Catherine||24.12.1825||or Davison, rel of Rodham Home of Longformacus, Rear Admiral of the Red, Invk||TT||Edr CC|
|Hughes||Thomas||2.10.1839||residing at Whitehouse, Invk||Invy,TD&S ; Codicil||Edr SC Inv|
|Inglis||Steuart Boone||15.8.1828||Paymaster of 2nd Light Battalion, Kings German Legion, died at Invk||Invy, D&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Lamb||John||13.12.1847||Master in the RN afterwards residing at Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Livingston||Agnes||13.5.1850||resided in Eyemouth, died in Lunatic Asylum at Invk near Mh||Invy, etc.||Duns SC|
|Livingston||Agnes||24.5.1850||of Eyemouth. Died at Invk near Mh on 27.02.1850||TD||Duns SC Wills|
|MacDonald||Ann||16.5.1816||of Monktonhall in par. Invk, lately residing in Edr||Invy ; Will||Edr SC Inv|
|MacGill||Ann||23.7.1847||or Greig, residing in Carle Hall in par. Invk, rel of Hugh MacGill||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|McGill||Ann||23.7.1847||Mrs, or Greig, rel of Hugh McGill, residing in Carlehall, parish of Invk||Edr SC Wills|
|MacGill||Hugh||1.3.1837||Grocer at Carrolhall in parish of Invk||Invy ; Pre-nup contr. of mar. with Annie Greig||Edr SC Inv|
|Marshall||William||19.4.1842||residing at Midfield Cottage in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Moodie||Catharine||18.11.1848||Mrs, or Fergusson, rel of Rev Dr Leslie Moodie, Minister of Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Moodie||Leslie||25.11.1840||Minister of Invk||Invy,TD&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Neil [Neill]||William||18.9.1850||Grocer & spirit dealer in Invk||Edr SC Wills|
|Neill [Neil]||William||18.9.1850||Grocer & Spirit Dealer in Invk, residing in Newbg of Mh||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Proudfoot||William||29.6.1824||farmer in Invk||TT||Edr CC|
|Proudfoot||William||23.6.1824||Tenant at Invk||Invy, D&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Purves||Hugh||19.10.1849||Land Steward at Wallyford in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Pye||Mary||18.11.1802||or Colt, sp of Major Charles Pye of the 3rd Regt of Dragoons, & dau of Oliver Colt of Invk||TD||Edr CC|
|Ramsay||Jane||6.3.1843||alias Oliphant, residing at Invk Lodge, wife of Sir James Ramsay of Banff, bart||Invy,TD&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Robertson||Alexander||22.7.1842||residing at Levenhall in par. Invk near Mh||Invy, D&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Sawers||Agnes||19.3.1846||Residing at Invk||Haddington SC|
|Scott||Thomas||27.10.1820||Builder in Invk||Invy ; TD||Edr SC Inv|
|Spens||Archibald||8.8.1845||Col of the EIC, residing at Invk in the county of Edr||Edr SC Wills|
|Spens||Archibald||8.8.1845||Lt Col in the service of the EIC residing at Manor House in Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Taylor||Duncan||30.5.1828||Gardener at Bellfield, thereafter at Invk Garden in Newbg of Mh||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Taylor||Duncan||16.6.1828||Gardener at Invk Garden, Newbg, Mh||TD & Invy||Edr CC|
|Vernor||Elizabeth||9.1.1821||residing in par. Invk||Invy ; Last W & T||Edr SC Inv|
|Wedderburn||Alexander||17.10.1839||Col of the Coldstream Guards residing at Invk Lodge||Invy ; TD&S||Edr SC Inv|
|Wedderburn||Susan||6.12.1848||Miss, dau of the late Sir John Wedderburn, bart of Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Wedderburn||Susan||6.12.1848||Invk Lodge||Edr SC Wills|
|Welsh||Isabella||3.6.1828||or Bell, Rosemount, parish of Invk||TD & Invy||Edr CC|
|Wighton||Robert||16.4.1838||Serv to the Rev Dr Leslie Moodie, residing at Invk in Mh||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
|Wilson||George||14.12.1842||residing at Invk near Mh||Invy ; Settlement||Edr SC Inv|
|Wyllie||Adam||13.3.1833||Farmer at Smeaton in par. Invk||Invy||Edr SC Inv|
Battlefield Resource Centre - page for Battle of Pinkie, 10 Sep 1547
- Esk Valley Trust: Inveresk & Musselburgh
- Esk Valley Trust: Musselburgh Bridges
- History of Royal Musselburgh Golf Club
- Newhailes House - an NTS property
- ScotlandsPlaces: Inveresk - an extensive collection of photographs, maps and records
- Biographies of Scottish Chess Players: John Crum - resided at 10 Delta Place, Inveresk