The arms of Barclay of Balmakewan
The above SVG image was generated by computer using Python and Pycairo.
View the SVG image full-size.
|NLS||National Library of Scotland|
|NRS||National Records of Scotland, formerly called the National Archives of Scotland [NAS] and, before that, the Scottish Record Office [SRO]|
HM General Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YY (Tel: +44-131-535-1314)
|OPR||Old Parish Registers of Births/baptisms, Banns/marriages & Deaths/burials (pre-1855)|
- See also, for history of the parish:
Charles Rogers - Memorials of the Strachans, Baronets of Thornton, Kincardineshire, and of the family of Wise of Hillbank, formerly Wyse of Lunan in the County of Forfar (London, 1873)
The later 1877 edition, entitled Memorials of the Scottish families of Strachan and Wise is here
- Old Statistical Account of the 1790s - vol. 18, p. 608
- New Statistical Account of the 1840s - vol. 11, p. 297
- 1:25000 Ordnance Survey map - published 1957
- 1:10560 (Six inch) Ordnance Survey map - surveyed 1863, published 1868
For the full range of maps of Marykirk, see National Library's Maps.
See Geograph.org: Marykirk - recent photographs of Marykirk. National Grid ref. NO6865.
Aberluthnot Parish Church, Marykirk is located at National Grid ref. NO687655, in Marykirk village. Built in 1806, next to the kirkyard. The mediaeval church belonged to the Priory of St Andrews in Fife.
In the kirkyard are two remaining aisles of the previous kirk, the Thornton Aisle and the Barclay Vault, which were burial aisles of the Strachans of Thornton and the Barclays of Balmakewan respectively. Both were falling into ruin in 1985, when the kirkyard was surveyed [Mitchell], but have recently been restored.
Above: Aberluthnot Parish Church
Above: the Thornton Aisle [Photo taken in 2006, before it was reroofed; Photo of a stone built into the wall of the aisle, bearing the initials AS, presumably for Alexander Strachan of Thornton, and date 1615]
Above: the Barclay Vault [Photo of a stone built on to the vault, bearing Barclay arms (A chevron between three crosses paty) and the initials IB, presumably for James or John Barclay]
adm.: admitted, ass.: assistant, bapt.: baptised, contr.: contract, dem.: demitted, dep.: deposed, ind.: inducted, lic.: licensed, mar.: married, min.: minister, ord.: ordained, pres.: presented, rel.: related, res.: resigned, suc.: successor, test.: testament, tr.: translated
|John Patrick||1563||min. 1563, also at Kinneff|
|Thomas Lindsay||1567||reader, Mar 1574|
|Robert Arbuthnot||1585-aft. 1591||tr. from Arbuthnott 1585; tr. back to Arbuthnott after 1591|
|Richard Lunan||1593-aft. 1612||elected Porter to College of Edinburgh 1586; M.A. Edinburgh 1588; adm. 1593; still min. 23 Apr 1612|
|James Rait||1617-1642||b. 1584; M.A. Kings Aberdeen 1603; regent at Kings; adm. 1617; d. 1 May 1642; mar. (proc. 14 Jul 1618) Isabella, dau. of Peter Blackburn, bishop of Aberdeen; issue: Mr William, his suc. here|
|William Rait||1642-1644||son of above; M.A. Kings; regent at Kings; adm. bef. 21 Jul 1642; tr. to Brechin 3 Dec 1644|
|William Chalmers||1648-1665||M.A.; adm. bef. 17 Jan 1648; tr. to Fettercairn 21 Jun 1665|
|Robert Rait||1666-1692||M.A. Kings Aberdeen 1659; adm. Roberton bef. 18 Jun 1665; tr. & adm. 14 Mar 1666; d. 1692; mar. 1665 Margaret Forbes, who survived him; issue: Kath. (mar. contr. 21st Apr 1688 David Rait of Bryanton, Inverkeilor); Robt; Margaret (mar. contr. 12 Oct 1702 Patrick Cruickshank, merchant, Aberdeen); Jean|
|John Thomson||1699-1734||ord. 31 Aug 1699; d. 1734; mar.; issue: William, his suc. here|
|William Thomson||1731-1770||b. 1705, son of above; ord. ass. & suc. 8 Apr 1731; d. 17 Dec 1770; mar. 1735 Jean dau. of Alexander Shank, min. of Drumoak ABD; issue: Eliz., John, Kath., Jean, Margaret, Wm|
|John Brymer [John Bremner]||1771-1804||b. ca. 1740, son of John B., merchant, Marnoch; M.A. Marischal Aberdeen 1761; ord. 30 Nov 1768, with view to congreg. in England; adm. 3 Jul 1771; d. 16 Oct 1804; mar 1777 Mary, dau. of William Hay, min. of Cruden ABD; issue: John, Wm, James, Thos, Helen Hay, Jane Belsches, Mary|
|James Shand||1805-1837||b. 18 Aug 1757 Aberdeen, son of James S., merchant; M.A. Marischal Aberdeen 1777; ord. Greyfriars Chapel, Aberdeen 11 May 1791; tr. & adm. 5 Jul 1805; d. 5 Jan 1837; mar. 1798 Margaret, dau. of Alexander Farquhar, bailie of Kintore; issue: Alex.; John; Eliz. Harvey; Janet; Jane Farquhar (mar. Alexander Whyte, min. of Fettercairn); Margaret; Mary Ann; Jane Davidson; sir Charles Farquhar, advocate, chief justice, Mauritius; George, rector of Heydon, Norfolk|
|Alexander Crombie Low||1836-1857||b. 1811, son of David L., farmer, Skene; M.A. Marischal Aberdeen 1827; schoolmaster, Foveran; LL.D. 1835; ord. ass. & suc. 21 Jan 1836; d. 20 May 1857; mar. 1837 Isabella, dau. of John Black, shipowner; issue: David; John; Alex.; Jane Kilgour; Eliz.; Thos Black; Robert; Isabella Mary; Cath. Margaret|
|James Campbell McClure||1857-1907||b. 30 Dec 1830 Ayr, son of Geo. McC., builder; ord. 3 Dec 1857; d. 4 Nov 1907; mar. 1859 Agnes Peacock, dau. of Alexander McEwan of Sunderland Hall, Islay; issue: Jane T.; ELiz. A.; Geo. J.; Alex. Wm; James C.|
|William Alexander MacFarlane Forbes||1908-1933||b. 17 Oct 1873 Dunkeld, son of Alex. F.; ass. Kinnettles & here; ord. 7 May 1908; d. 14 Feb 1933|
Muirton Church, Luthermuir (Antiburgher)
Muirton Secession Church was built in 1780 and rebuilt in 1822. It is now Luthermuir Church of Scotland. Located at NO655686, in Church Road, Luthermuir (Feus of Caldhame).
Above: Luthermuir Church of Scotland
Ministers of Muirton Church, Luthermuir (Antiburgher)
|James Imrie||1773-1780||b. ca. 1746; from Glasgow (Cathedral Square); ord. 12 May 1773; loosed May 1780; moved to Paisley; d. 30 May 1835|
|David Meek||1794-1814||b. ca. 1764; from Kirriemuir (West); ord. 19 Nov 1794; dep. 25 Mar 1814; moved to Edinburgh; d. 20 Oct 1848|
|James Renwick||1822-1845||b. ca. 1781; from Moniaive; ord. 6 Mar 1822; d. 22 Oct 1845; mar. with numerous issue|
|John Buick||1847-1849||b. ca. 1823; from Alyth; ord. 24 mar 1847; res. 16 Jan 1849; d. Feb 1850; buried 5 Feb 1850 Montrose|
|Joseph Leckie||1849-1858||from Falkirk (Erskine Church); ord. 31 Oct 1849; res. 8 Jun 1858; ind. 1864 Millport BUT; "Dr Leckie of Ibrox, Glasgow"|
|Thomas Swan||1860-1873||b. ca. 1835; from Leslie (Trinity); ord. 30 Oct 1860; d. 20 Oct 1873|
|James Y. Third||1875-1878||b. ca. 1840; res. Jul 1874 Ollaberry SHI; ind. 8 Jun 1875; loosed 24 Sep 1878; went to Lahore, India; later appointed to Hantsville, Ontario, Canada; d. there 9 Apr 1884; mar. with 3 children|
|William Arnot Mitchell||1879-1907-?||b. ca. 1845 Arbroath; from Brechin (High Street); ord. Durham 16 Apr 1873; ind. 21 May 1879; d. 28 Nov 1916 Stonehaven; mar. 1873 Jane Anne Duthie|
Above: The former Free Kirk, at Crosspoles (NO671677) near Hatton, at the side of the A90 road.
Ministers of the Free Kirk, Marykirk; later, United Free Church
|William Munnis||?-1861-?||b. ca. 1817 Ireland; mar. Flora ---; issue: John W.; Wm A.|
|Duncan Archibald McKinnon||?-1881-1901-?||M.A.; b. 21 Jun 1849 Killin PER, son of the Rev. Alexr McK.; d. 22 Mar 1922 Advie MOR|
|Alfred Henry Charlton||?-1925||b. 19 Mar 1856 Edinburgh; min. Kilwinning U.F. Church in 1901; d. 9 Jun 1925 Crosspoles Manse|
Ministers of Sauchieburn Berean Chapel, Marykirk
The chapel was built in 1773.
|Thomas McKinnon||1812?-1854||b. ca. 1774 Errol PER; d. 4 oct 1854; mar. Janet Jack; issue: Christian; Cath.; Jean; Mary Ruperta; Ann; Georgina; Isabella S.|
Ministers of the Congregational Church in Marykirk
Monuments in Marykirk Kirkyard bearing pre-1855 information (ca. 120 stones) are listed in Alison Mitchell (ed.), "Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in Kincardineshire" (Edinburgh: Scottish Genealogy Soc., 1999), which can be bought from the Scottish Genealogy Society. (It's listed as "Kincardineshire MI - The Mearns" in their online shop.)
Andrew Jervise recorded some monuments at Marykirk in his "Epitaphs & Inscriptions", vol. 1, pp. 132-8.
Above: the monument to Margaret Low, spouse to John Herd in Balmakelly, later, apparently, in Muirton of Benholm. They were the parents of David Herd, the collector of Scottish songs who was baptised at Marykirk in 1732 and died in Edinburgh in 1810. Several fragments of the inscription are now  lying on the ground. The stone was not found by Mitchell in 1985 [Mitchell, stone no. 112a], but Andrew Jervise recorded the text in his "Epitaphs & Inscriptions", vol. 1, p. 136:
A loving and a virtueous wife she was,
That few or none could her surpass.
See also Photo of the west face of the monument erected by Isobel Shepherd to her (non-armigerous) husband James Strachan, tenant, Glenhanton, bearing IS IS and the date 1769.
Full texts of all extant inscriptions in Marykirk Kirkyard have been published by the Aberdeen & North-East Scotland FHS. They have an online search facility for names of people on the monuments they have recorded. Their list of publications is here.
See also Marykirk Churchyard.
Above: general view
See also Scottish War Memorials Project: Marykirk for more photographs and details.
Indexes and actual records for Statutory Registers of Births, Marriages & Deaths, beginning 1 Jan 1855, are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.
Burial records for Marykirk are held by the Registrar in Stonehaven. See Kincardine and Mearns Burial Grounds.
|Nature of record||Dates||Ref.|
|Marykirk Churchyard Plan||ca. 1860||BR/MK/1|
|Marykirk Burial Register||1858 - 1902||BR/MK/2|
|do||1902 - 1944||BR/MK/3|
Indexes and actual records for all extant Old Parish Registers (OPRs) (pre-1855) of the Established Church of Scotland are available online, following registration and the purchase of credits, at the official web-site, ScotlandsPeople.
- 1699 - 1854
- 1699 - 1854
- 1704 - 1819
- 1763 - 1854
|Nature of record||Dates||NRS ref. CH2/842/...|
There were 7 proprietors of land in the parish in 1842:
- Earl of Kintore
- Sir Alexander Ramsay of Balmain, bart.
- Robert Taylor
- Alexander Crombie of Phesdo
- Hon. Gen. Hugh Arbuthnott M.P.
- Lieut.-col. Fraser
- Sir John Stuart Forbes, bart.
Records of John Tailyour of Kirktonhill (b. 1755, d. 1815), who was a merchant in Jamaica, and other members of the Tailyour family, 1743-2003 - held by the William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan. Summary
Following records are held by Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives:
|Nature of record||Dates||Ref.|
|Marykirk Parochial Board: Minute Book||1851 - 1860||AS/KPmyk/1|
|do||1860 - 1870||AS/KPmyk/2|
|do||1876 - 1885||AS/KPmyk/3|
|do||1885 - 1895||AS/KPmyk/4|
|Marykirk Parish Council: Minute Book||1895 - 1925||AS/KPmyk/5|
|do||1925 - 1930||AS/KPmyk/6|
|Marykirk Parochial Board / Parish Council: General Register of the Poor||1891 - 1930||AS/KPmyk/7|
|Marykirk Parish Council: Applications for Poor Relief||1926 - 1933||AS/KPmyk/8|
The following records are held by Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives:
|Nature of record||Dates||Ref.|
|Marykirk School Board: Census Book (Children)||1884 - 1889||AS/KSmyk/6|
|do||1890 - 1894||AS/KSmyk/7|
|do||1895 - 1901||AS/KSmyk/8|
|do||1902 - 1905||AS/KSmyk/9|
|do||1909 - 1914||AS/KSmyk/10|
|do||1916 - 1919||AS/KSmyk/11|
|Luthermuir School: Log Books||1878 - 1915||ED/GR6S/K29/1|
|Luthermuir School: Admission Registers||1937 - 1954||ED/GR6S/K29/2|
|Luthermuir School: Miscellaneous Records||1888 - 1972||ED/GR6S/K29/3|
|Marykirk School: Log Book||1874 - 1914||ED/GR6S/K33/1/1|
|do||1914 - 1958||ED/GR6S/K33/1/2|
|Marykirk School: Admission Register||1891 - 1919||ED/GR6S/K33/2/1|
|do||1919 - 1935||ED/GR6S/K33/2/2|
|do||1935 - 1962||ED/GR6S/K33/2/3|
Records of the official censuses of the parish in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 are held in the New Register House, Edinburgh and are open to the public on payment of a fee.
Indexes to all the original census records, and the records themselves, can be accessed online at modest charge at ScotlandsPeople.
Microfilm copies are also widely available in libraries. The 1881 census is available on CD-ROM.
The early censuses of 1801-31 do not name individuals.
|1755||1280||Dr Alexander Webster|
|1793||1481||Old Statistical Account|
* approx. 300 of whom were in the village of Marykirk, 1090 in Luthermuir, 1000 in the landward area.
Marykirk was in the Commissariot of St Andrews.
Indexes to all extant pre-1926 testamentary records (wills & inventories of moveable property) can be searched free of charge at ScotlandsPeople. Digital (and paper) copies of the documents can be purchased at that site. See further the introduction to Angus & Kincardineshire at Testaments.
Testaments of Marykirk people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of St Andrews, 1549-1823
|Catharine Allan||spouse to David Hamptoun, in Marykirk of Aberluthnott||25 Jul 1635|
|George Allan||at Marykirk, par. of Aberluthnot||19 Apr 1638|
|Alexander Anderson||late servant to Sir William Nicolson of Glenbervie, par. of Marykirk||3 Mar 1748|
|Janet Anderson||spouse to Robert Mill, in Marykirk of Aberluthnot||25 Jul 1635|
|Robert Annandale||mason at Marykirk||8 Oct 1821|
|Elspet Bernard||spouse to Thomas Wooll, at Aberluthnot-kirk||15 Oct 1681|
|Mr William Bethune or Beatoun||in Balnaleidie, par. of Aberluthnot||22 Oct 1674|
|Mr John Brymer||minister, Marykirk||20 May 1806|
|Robert Carnegie||in Balmanno, par. of Aberluthnot||14 Oct 1681|
|William Carnegie||in Balmano, par. of Aberluthnot||15 Oct 1681|
|Hew Cathro||in Newtoun of Aberluthnot||12 Jul 1637|
|Alexander Chrystie or Christie||in Pitgarvie, par. of Aberluthnott||15 Mar 1637|
|William Clark||farmer at Hillhead of Balmaleedy||9 Sep 1818|
|Mr Thomas Durie||tenant in Newtyle, par. of Marykirk, previously tenant in Capo||19 Sep & 3 Dec 1823|
|Dame Elizabeth Forbes||spouse to Sir James Straquhane of Thorntoun [Strachan of Thornton], par. of Aberluthnot||13 Aug 1662|
|Isobel Gavin||spouse to Alexander Lindesay, in Newtoun, par. of Aberluthnot||25 Jul 1635|
|Thomas Gellie||in Brigtoune, par. of Aberluthnot||25 Jun 1614|
|William Gibb||in Barnis, par. of Aberluthnot||18 Feb 1614|
|Helen Glen||residing at Luthermuir||3 May 1819|
|Robert Greig||in Caldgauch, par. of Aberluthnot||22 Feb 1712|
|Marjorie Grub||spouse to John Scott, in Brigtoun, par. of Aberluthnot||25 Aug 1614|
|David Hird||farmer at Barns of Newton||30 Jun 1820|
|Thomas Hood||farmer at Mains of Luther||13 & 29 Oct 1818|
|John Hutcheon||at Marie-kirk, par. of Aberluthnot||21 Jun 1621|
|John Jack||in Drumnagair, par. of Aberluthnot||i5 Jul 1662|
|Margaret Jamie||spouse to John Hird, in Balmakelly, par. of Aberluthnot||15 Mar 1637|
|William Jamie||sometime in Balnakellie, par. of Aberluthnot||23 Oct 1685|
|Alexander Keith||in Kirktounhill, par. of Aberluthnot||16 Jul 1662|
|George Keith of Caldhame||par. of Aberluthnot||18 Jul 1750|
|Janet Laing||spouse to Daniel Wat, in the Hill of Balmalidie, par. of Aberluthnot||27 Jun 1617|
|John Law||in Englishmauldie, par. of Aberluthnot||3 Jul 1675|
|Alexander Low||tenant in Waterside, par. of Aberluthnot, alias Marykirk||12 Sep 1749|
|Catherine Low||spouse to Alexander Findlaw, in Haltoun, par. of Aberluthnot||2 Apr 1628|
|David Low||at the Milne of Thorntoun, par. of Aberluthnot||20 Jun 1605|
|John Low||in Spittillschellis, par. of Aberluthnot||25 Sep 1617|
|Thomas Low||in Balmakellie, par. of Aberluthnot||18 Feb 1614|
|Christian Lyell||in Kirktounhill, par. of Aberluthnot||4 Mar 1676|
|Elspet Lyell||in Burgartoun, par. of Aberluthnot, spouse to Thomas Gawin||27 Jun 1621|
|Eupham Lyell||in Watersyde, spouse to Alexander Naughtie, par. of Aberluthnot||23 Jul 1662|
|Janet Mitchell||spouse to John Stavart, brabner in the Cottoun of Pitgarvie, par. of Aberluthnot||14 Nov 1617|
|John Mitchell||in the town of Marykirk, alias Arbuthnot [sic]||27 Nov 1755|
|Christian Mollison||spouse to George Croill, in Langhill of Thorntoun, par. of Aberluthnot||25 Aug 1614|
|Isobel Murray||in Pitgervie, par. of Aberluthnot||19 Apr 1614|
|Alexander Naughtie||in Barnes, par. of Aberluthnot||27 Jun 1636|
|Marjorie Nicol||lawful daughter to the deceased John Nicol, sometime in Barnes, par. of Aberluthnot||7 Feb 1698|
|Dame Mary Norvall, Lady Newtoune||par. of Marykirk||28 Nov 1699 and 21 Jul 1702|
|Alexander Petrie||in Brigtoun, par. of Aberluthnot||24 Jul 1650|
|Margaret Pirie||spouse to George Lyell, in Barnes, par. of Aberluthnot||27 Jan 1620|
|David Rae||farmer at Mill of Thornton||7 Sep 1809|
|Andrew Reid||at the Mylne of Barnes, par. of Aberluthnot||24 Jul 1662|
|Isobel Reid||in Newtoune, par. of Aberluthnot, spouse of Alexander Law||5 May 1620|
|Juliet Renny, countess of Kintore||residing at Inglismaldie||16 Jul 1821|
|Isobel Revin||spouse to Richart Willok, at New Kirk of Aberluthnot||11 Aug 1618|
|Jean Scott||at Marykirk||18 Apr 1748|
|John Shepherd||in Hill of Haltoun, par. of Aberluthnot||15 Oct 1681|
|John Smith||in Newtoun, par. of Aberluthnot||5 May 1620|
|Alexander Soutar||in Hauchhead, par. of Aberluthnot||17 Oct 1617|
|John Steel||cotterman in Elpitie, par. of Aberluthnot||20 Jun 1605|
|Walter Steel||in Pitgervie, par. of Aberluthnot||14 Aug 1662|
|Marjorie Stewart||in Balnakewan, par. of Aberluthnot||3 Jul 1675|
|David Strachan||in Burgartoun, par. of Aberluthnot||27 Jun 1621|
|Robert Strachan||farmer in Mains of Hatton||3 Mar 1815|
|Robert Taylor of Kirktown hill||par. of Marykirk, alias Arbuthnot [sic]||1 Feb 1779|
|John Thomson||wobstar in Sagie-daill, par. of Aberluthnot||9 May 1597|
|Andrew Torrie||in Brandeslayes, par. of Aberluthnot||l5 Jul 1662|
|Gilbert Touch||in Aill-houssis of Thorntoune, par. of Aberluthnot||20 Apr 1624|
|Margaret Walker||in Barnes, par. of Aberluthnot, spouse of Patrick Lyell||19 Dec 1618|
|William Walker||in Dronnomyre, par. of Aberluthnot||27 Jun 1621|
|Christian Wallace||sometime spouse to John Thomson, alias Wobstar, in Segy-daill, par. of Aberluthnott||9 May 1597|
|Janet Watt||spouse to David Muresone, in Haltoun, par. of Aberluthnot||18 Feb 1614|
|David Whitelaw||sometime at the Mylne of Barns, par. of Aberluthnot||2 Jan 1675|
|Eupham Willock||spouse to John Willock, in Hill of Hattoun, par. of Aberluthnot||4 Mar 1676|
|John Willock||par. of Aberluthnot||16 Jul 1662|
|Margaret Young||spouse to John Line, at Marykirk||7 Oct 1675|
Testaments registered at St Andrews that have been lost, for which only entries in the minute books are extant.
|George Blacklaws||brewer in Aberluthnot, alias Marykirk||19 Mar 1766|
Testaments of Marykirk people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Brechin, 1801-1823
|Alexander Low||weaver at Caldhame, par. of Marykirk, thereafter at Pugiston, par. of Montrose||16 & 24 Dec 1808, 11 Jan 1809|
Testaments of Marykirk people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1514-1600
|Richard Blantyre||in Coldhame, par. of Marie-kirk in Aberluthnot, sher. of Kincardine||18 Jul 1586|
|George Downey||at the Mylne of Thornton in the Mearns||18 May 1588|
|Katherine Erskine||sometime spouse to David Rait, apparent of Halgreine, and indweller in Drumnager, par. of Aberluthnet, sher. of Kincardine||22 Jun 1596|
|Eufame Falconer||sometime spouse to Thomas Lothian, in Pitgarvie, par. of Aberluthnot in the Mearns||19 Dec 1593|
|Eufame Guthrie||relict of Robert Montgomrie, in Haltoun, par. of Aberluthnet, sher. of Kincardine||26 Feb 1598-9|
|Isobel Keith||sometime spouse to Alexander Strachan of Thornton||2 Aug 1597|
|William Lothian||in Petgarvie, par. of Aberluthnot in the Mearns||19 Dec 1593|
|Christopher Mathers||at the North-Water-bridge of Nather-Eglismaldie, par. of Abirluthnet, sher. of Kincardine||6 Jun 1598|
|Alexander Mitchell||in Roishill, par. of Aberluthnet in the Mearns||27 Jun 1588|
|Jonet Prat||sometime spouse to Charles Walker, at the Walk-mylne of Thornton, in the Mearns||22 Oct 1576|
|David Ramsay||at Marie-kirk, in Aberluthnot||15 Apr 1577|
|Alexander Raney||in Balmeno, par. of Abirluthnocht, sher. of Kincardine||13 Nov 1594|
|Christiane Reid||sometime spouse to George Wiliok, at Marie-kirk of Abirluthnot in the Mearns||7 Jul 1586|
|David Strachan||in Muretoun, par. of Abirluthnot||15 Dec 1593|
|John Strachan of Thornton||in the Mearns||21 May 1588|
|John Strachan||in Goisseslie, par. of Abirluthnett, sher. of Kincardine||17 May 1591|
|Alexander Vallentyne elder||in Pitgarvie, in Abirluthnet par. in the Mearns||7 Nov 1590|
Testaments of Marykirk people from the Register of Testaments of the Commissariot of Edinburgh, 1601-1700
|Bessie Drymmie||relict of --- Lyell, in ---, and last spouse to William Drymmie, in Balmakewin, par. of Aberluthnot, in the Mearns||12 Jun 1602|
|Jonet Mylne||relict of Cristell Matheris, at the Nether-Mylne of Eglismaldie, par. of Abirluthnot, sher. of Mernes||12 Jan 1603|
|Alexander Strachan of Thornetoun||par. of Abirluthnot, in the Mernes||5 Aug 1602|
|Sir Alexander Strachan of Thornetoune||24 Jan 1662|
|Names||Designations||Abode||Acts of rebellion|
|Where at present|
|George Abernethie||servant to Lord Halkerton||-||Carried Arms with the Rebels during the whole Rebellion||Lurking|
|Robert Barclay||gentleman||Balmyheuen [Balmakewan]||Carried arms at the battle of Culloden and said to be||killed|
Images of the original records for Marykirk:
Images of the original records for Marykirk: